Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Installed new brakes, quick ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2005, 08:55 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Installed new brakes, quick ?

semi-metallic brakes will make a very slight glinding/sliding noise. dont worry about it. but yeah, they are hard on rotors. but i think its more than worth it. i mean, hey, a turbo is hard on your engine, right? does that mean we dont al want one? not likely.

Old 06-28-2005, 07:39 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

Alright sweet.. I took the entire setup off again yesterday, and made sure everything was thoroughly cleaned with Brake Cleaner, still a slight grinding noise exactly how sacs described it. I didnt spend big money on this because i figure by the time these go bad, it will be time for my big brake/rear drum to disk conversion.

Old 06-28-2005, 09:19 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: sacicons

semi-metallic brakes will make a very slight glinding/sliding noise. dont worry about it. but yeah, they are hard on rotors. but i think its more than worth it. i mean, hey, a turbo is hard on your engine, right? does that mean we dont al want one? not likely.
That is true for most things(like turbos and superchargers,... lol), I just don't see the benefit of using pads that will wear down the rotors faster with minimal if any performance increase. I would go cross drill and/or slotted before I would consider semi-metallic again. Just my personal preference I guess.

Old 06-28-2005, 09:24 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

That is true for most things(like turbos and superchargers,... lol), I just don't see the benefit of using pads that will wear down the rotors faster with minimal if any performance increase. I would go cross drill and/or slotted before I would consider semi-metallic again. Just my personal preference I guess.
From what i hear cross drilled are better for show, and thats about it. I've heard lots of horror stories about those. And if you read my last post before this, you would know WHY i got this setup...

Old 06-28-2005, 09:32 AM

Hey Forty, glad to hear you're good to go now! [sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 06-28-2005, 09:46 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

thanks bro, nothing more comforting than knowing i'm going to be able to stop if i need to, heh heh

Old 06-28-2005, 12:54 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Forty04

From what i hear cross drilled are better for show, and thats about it. I've heard lots of horror stories about those. And if you read my last post before this, you would know WHY i got this setup...
Why does it sound like you got offended by my post? I was replying to ngoti8er, and his comment that just because they are hard on the rotors doesn't mean we don't want them. In no way did I say you shouldn't run them, hey you have them already, use them. It's your choice. If you get considerable gain in breaking power, then more power to you. You will have to make the decision on what you value more when the time comes to replace them (rotors or that added braking performance you experienced). I was clearly stating my personal preference of OEM rotors and pads, since I saw no added performance by simply using the semi-metallic. This being a forum with people wanting to gain knowledge through reading other people's personal experience I figured I would add that information. When it comes time for others to replace their pads they will have the given information to which they can base their decision. In my experience the pads lasted longer, but the rotors warped before the pads were worn down. Since then I have gone through more rotors than pads. My next purchase will be going back to OEM parts because of that. Now with that said, I am not telling you what to do, just take my post as information passed along based on experience with such a product.

Old 06-28-2005, 02:16 PM
Laced with Sarcasm

wwwhhoooooaaaa there guy! I wasnt really offended at all actually. It seemed like you were implying i chose these brake pads because i thought they were awesome or something, which is not the case. They weren't the cheapest (cause going the cheapest route on brakes scares me), but they werent the most expensive either. I bought them cause of their price, i could really give two ****s less whats in 'em as long as they hold me over till the big brake conversion.. woot!

Old 06-28-2005, 03:19 PM

ORIGINAL: 97CivicEX
Why does it sound like you got offended by my post? I was replying to ngoti8er, and his comment that just because they are hard on the rotors doesn't mean we don't want them.
wwwhhoooooaaaa there, 97CivicEX, now I'M offended. Just tell me where in this post or any other post that I commented about anything being hard on the rotors, or not wanting them.
If you're going to refer to someone's comment, please quote it, because as far as I'm concerned, YOU ARE MISTAKEN! I only gave Forty advice on how to clean his rotors and pads. So don't go blaming me to save yourself.

Old 06-28-2005, 03:26 PM
HCF Member

from my experience semi metallic pads are great......ive used ceramic before but they are KILLER on rotors......but u dont have to clean ur rims every day lol........rite now im runnin Brembo crossed drilled rotors and Hawk semi metallic pads.......the breaks work awesome.......but my rims always need attention. Lol.

Quick Reply: Installed new brakes, quick ?