Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Installed new brakes, quick ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2005, 03:56 PM
Default RE: Installed new brakes, quick ?

ORIGINAL: pcupo12
but my rims always need attention. Lol.
I know what you mean!

Old 06-28-2005, 04:12 PM
HCF Member

You're right my bad that was sacicon I was replying to, not you.... didn't mean to get that mixed up and offend anyone just trying to pass on personal information.

Old 06-28-2005, 04:13 PM
HCF Member

ive used ceramic before but they are KILLER on rotors.
really, so you're saying ceramic is harder on metal than metal on metal? Can you please explain?

Old 06-28-2005, 04:14 PM

ORIGINAL: 97CivicEX
You're right my bad that was sacicon I was replying to, not you.... didn't mean to get that mixed up and offend anyone just trying to pass on personal information.
Apology accepted, CivicEX. At least I hope that was an apology!

Old 06-28-2005, 04:52 PM
HCF Member

Yes, it was,... but if you have to hear it,... Sorry for getting you mixed up with someone else. I am the first to admit when I am wrong, so yes I was wrong about who I was replynig to and who actually posted that. I'm sensing people in this forum are just too sensitive.

Old 06-28-2005, 07:37 PM

97CivicEX, I'm not too sensitive, I just don't like it when people don't quote me properly or they say I said things that I never.

Now, back to Forties brakes!

Forty, when you do your brake conversion, you got any ideas yet? You gonna get em from a teg, or go new like Brembo or somethin?

Old 06-28-2005, 08:52 PM
HCF Member

wow. ok. i guess ill address this now. and im in the same place as you 97, i am not trying to say youre wrong, just throwing out my own experiences. ive had the Semi-metallic pads on my car for over a year and a half. so far i havent had to replace the rotors (though they have a lot of miles on them, and i know im not going to be able to machine them again, so the next brake job is gonna be expensive). as of now, they have no shimmy that would suggest warping (even at VERY high speeds) i have on the stock Honda rotors from a 2000 SI. maybe non-manufacturer ones dont last as long, i dont know. and in my experience, drilled rotors manage to crack after just a couple of track days. my boss had Eradispeeds on his Vette, and they only lasted like 2-3 days at the tracks before they cracked. and those run almost $1000 per axle set. since then, he installed dimpled and slotted rotors, and they have lasted pretty well. i personally prefer decent quality slotted rotors. thats what will replace the stock discs i have now. (though im looking into something kinda custom out of the Phillipines. ill post up if the deal goes through.)

Old 06-28-2005, 08:55 PM
Laced with Sarcasm

Ideally.. I'd like to go all the way and do either Brembo or Wilwood. But in actuality, i think i'll probly end up ripping it out of a teg and just replacing parts. We'll see how the money situation is when it comes time. I got my fingers crossed

Old 06-28-2005, 10:11 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: 97CivicEX

ive used ceramic before but they are KILLER on rotors.
really, so you're saying ceramic is harder on metal than metal on metal? Can you please explain?

its not Full Metal on metal bro.....theyre SEMI metallic. Theyre no where near as hard on ur rotors as ceramic. Thats why i switched back to semi metallics cuz its so much cheaper to replace pads than rotors.

Old 06-28-2005, 11:49 PM
HCF Member

its not Full Metal on metal bro.....theyre SEMI metallic. Theyre no where near as hard on ur rotors as ceramic. Thats why i switched back to semi metallics cuz its so much cheaper to replace pads than rotors.
I know they are not full metal, that is why they are called semi-metallic. What do you think adds to the higher friction? The metal. I think you have it a little backwards there. Don’t take my word for it. Do your own research. Here are a few links:

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/tech/....jsp?techid=88
http://www.brakeworld.com/ceramic-brake-pads.asp
http://www.trustmymechanic.com/htmlmessage9.html
http://www.stretcher.com/stories/03/03feb10e.cfm

Do your own google search and let me know if you find otherwise.

Quick Reply: Installed new brakes, quick ?