Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Installed Skunk2 Lowering Springs, now one tire scrapes!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 01:04 PM
Question

ok lets say the shocks arent blowned,

for the diagram of the 1995 Honda Civic EX,
would there be a possiblity something is scraping metal to metal ?!
between the rotor, spacer or something, because im definitely sure that my wheel wouldnt make a scratching noise that sounds like its hitting metal .

the sound sounds like im scraping the road but im not, its not even hitting my bumper. does anyone know anything about lowering springs on a 1995 honda civic that may have a side effect on the suspensions or rather the rotors or arms ?! Please get back to me ASAP

and thanks in Advance

Old 03-31-2010, 01:16 PM
Chubby Chaser

i say you did something wrong during your install, take the wheel off and double check your work, and look very carefully, i have completly slammed my cars and havent had any problems,

Name:  sedan.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  17.5 KB
Name:  0906091745.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  14.9 KB

Old 03-31-2010, 05:48 PM
HCF Member

if its a metal to metal scrap, it might be the brake dust shield. or whatever its called. it sits behind the rotor. if bent inward can hit the rotor. happened to me before. just check that

Old 04-02-2010, 04:00 PM
March 2010 ROTM

Since it only happens on turns, I also would say its most likely a blown strut. Most spring sets are not going to be exactly the same drop on each side. Yours might just be the case where a 1/4 inch could make the difference. Try rolling the fender. You can actually do the front fenders with your fingers really, not to tough to bend.

Might be nothing though. As an example, my car rubbed only on the drivers side front as well with my current suspension setup with my old wheels. No other rubs, only the drivers while turning. My problem was fixed by switching tire sizes to 205/40 instead of 205/45.

Old 04-02-2010, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by 94civichatchback
i say you did something wrong during your install, take the wheel off and double check your work, and look very carefully, i have completly slammed my cars and havent had any problems,

/0906091745.jpg[/IMG]
ok so i got to it right when i got the messages. Everything seems to be fine but i finally figured out the problem.

The problem was that its not metal to metal scraping (idiot me), its just the wheel scraping on my fenders.

Thanks for making me check my work again. It made me realize that it was not metal to metal scraping.

Originally Posted by Dipsetcivic117
if its a metal to metal scrap, it might be the brake dust shield. or whatever its called. it sits behind the rotor. if bent inward can hit the rotor. happened to me before. just check that
and what happened when it happened to you ?! did you remove the brake dust shield or did you just fix it ?!
Thanks for the idea !!

Originally Posted by plethoric33
Since it only happens on turns, I also would say its most likely a blown strut. Most spring sets are not going to be exactly the same drop on each side. Yours might just be the case where a 1/4 inch could make the difference. Try rolling the fender. You can actually do the front fenders with your fingers really, not to tough to bend.

Might be nothing though. As an example, my car rubbed only on the drivers side front as well with my current suspension setup with my old wheels. No other rubs, only the drivers while turning. My problem was fixed by switching tire sizes to 205/40 instead of 205/45.
What happens if i roll my fenders ?! wouldnt my tires still scrape the fenders ?! Please let me know ASAP and thanks for letting me know !!
I was also told by a close friend to go low profile tires and it would help out a lot.

Old 04-02-2010, 09:21 PM
Chubby Chaser

on 17 on a civic your tire size needs to be 205/40/17. what size tires do you have?

Old 04-03-2010, 06:10 AM
HCF Member

do eg's have front fenderliners? Mine (ek) rubbed on the clip holding it in, i took it out and it hasnt rubbed since. (theory) but other then that, it sounds like you have a blown strut.

Old 04-03-2010, 06:16 AM
March 2010 ROTM

^They do. But what you said just goes along with what I said...the tiniest bit of space really can be the difference in rubbing and not rubbing. Rolling you fender lip will give you close to a half inch more room for your tires on turns.

Again, what size tires are you running?

Old 04-05-2010, 12:30 PM

^They do. But what you said just goes along with what I said...the tiniest bit of space really can be the difference in rubbing and not rubbing. Rolling you fender lip will give you close to a half inch more room for your tires on turns.

Again, what size tires are you running?
ok sorry it took so long to get back to post, dont really have that much free time anymore but

my tires are 195/50 . small eh ? lol ill post pictures soon .. so everyone can see

Old 04-19-2010, 10:01 PM

ok, i feel like such a dick to leave this post unreplied too, and on top of that, i havent took pictures yet !! so busy thats why, anyways

i took these into consideration,

the tiniest bit of space really can be the difference in rubbing and not rubbing. Rolling you fender lip will give you close to a half inch more room for your tires on turns.
and

Originally Posted by Overurhead360
do eg's have front fenderliners? Mine (ek) rubbed on the clip holding it in, i took it out and it hasnt rubbed since. (theory)
plethoric33, you are correct, the smallest inch does make a difference and Overurhead360, you are also correct about the fender liners and what part was scraping them.

The Conclusion:
I took off the fender liners and i "rolled" my fenders. The reason i put quotation marks is because the way i rolled it, isnt really rolling it literally, i just pushed it in because it was thin enough and it bent in.

On top of that i had a half inch to an inch spacer between the rotor and the wheel, so i took that off, and now

IT RIDES WITHOUT SCRAPING !!

Thanks so so so so much guys !!
Thanks so much to the people who have replied, gave me ideas and their opinions
I love hondacivicforums.com now lol.

Quick Reply: Installed Skunk2 Lowering Springs, now one tire scrapes!