Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

jack??

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 08:27 PM
Default jack??

I'm looking to buy a jack and jack stands. And I'm looking at reviews but I was also wondering if anyone has any suggestions on which is a good brand to get. I don't want to go cheap nor do I want to spend a thousand dollars. All suggestions will be appreciated.

Old 05-23-2012, 11:41 PM
HCF Member

i use the widow makers for changing my tires (stock ones in trunk lol)

anything else i have a liftpro hydraulic lift and solid mounts (no crank just solid welded mounts) from harbor freight and just in personal theory i am happy with anything solid steel and while im sure most of them are all safe, when there are levers and cranks on the mounts it just seems like something that can go unnecessarily wrong.

Old 05-23-2012, 11:51 PM
HCF Member

personally i use this jack :Aluminum Floor Jack - 1.5 Ton Aluminum Racing Jack

and a set of stands from walmart... course i also use an old chunk of 4x4 as a wheel chock, but hey, to each his own.

Old 05-24-2012, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Turtlegrip
i use the widow makers for changing my tires (stock ones in trunk lol)

anything else i have a liftpro hydraulic lift and solid mounts (no crank just solid welded mounts) from harbor freight and just in personal theory i am happy with anything solid steel and while im sure most of them are all safe, when there are levers and cranks on the mounts it just seems like something that can go unnecessarily wrong.
Not all hydrolic steel/aluminum jacks are really trustworthy. The hydrolic system can easily fail. Which is why you should never rely on holding the car up with a jack an no jack stands. The only time I jack my car up and don't use stands is when I'm doing a quick swap with my street and race wheels/tires. Other than that, I'll always use stands.

To the OP, if you can afford an aluminum one, get one. The weight difference is great. Low profile jacks are also handy if you lower your car. Try and find a jack that has a max height higher than ~14". I find my craftsman jack with a max height of like 14.25" does not raise my car high enough in most cases which is a pain in the a$$.

Old 05-25-2012, 12:26 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by civicexracer
Not all hydrolic steel/aluminum jacks are really trustworthy. The hydrolic system can easily fail. Which is why you should never rely on holding the car up with a jack an no jack stands. The only time I jack my car up and don't use stands is when I'm doing a quick swap with my street and race wheels/tires. Other than that, I'll always use stands.
Which is why i said i always use mounts (stands)....
lol