Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

loose suspension = (

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 12:28 PM
HCF Member
Default loose suspension = (

Aight. I HATE my suspension. The car is lowered.. (I bought it that way so I don't know what kind of springs are on it.)

Every time I hit a bump on the road... the car bounces up and down on the suspension for about a quarter mile. Its so annoying. I want to buy new springs... but I want the same ride height. I want them to be as tight as possible.. I'd take a rough ride over the bouncing any day. Does anybody have any suggestions as to what I should get and what it might cost?

I'm planning to start autocross racing this summer in the chicagoland area. So I want a good suspension for that. Is there anything else I might need to change about my suspension besides adding sway bars or strut bars?

(And while were on that topic. What's the difference between sway bars n strut bars and what gives better handling?)

Thanks guys.. And sorry for the noob questions.

Old 02-27-2007, 12:38 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: loose suspension = (

if your car is bouncing, then it's probably not the springs, but the struts are probably blown so the springs just sit there and bounce forever

Old 02-27-2007, 01:10 PM
HCF Member

Could you recomend some good struts?

And how hard is the install on something like that? Cuz I don't wanna pay anyone to do it.. I'd rather do it myself.

How do I tell if it is in fact my struts that are blown? Or is that just a given because the car's bouncing?

Old 02-27-2007, 03:30 PM
HCF Member

go to the front of your car and rock the hood up and down and then release it real fast.

the front end of your car should come to a controlled stop real quick. no bounciness.

if it does bounce, then you're fuct.

new struts for you.

Old 02-27-2007, 03:39 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: badb0ybilly

Could you recomend some good struts?

And how hard is the install on something like that? Cuz I don't wanna pay anyone to do it.. I'd rather do it myself.
Tokico blues are a good buy. And its a fairly simple install, it would help if you have someone who has done it before. Here is a good diy.

https://www.hondacivicforum.com/m_225963/tm.htm

Old 02-27-2007, 04:00 PM
mxs
HCF Member

Jack up the car and take the wheel off, and get a picture of the springs. Especially if there's any writing on them. The springs may be fine, and may be name-brand... just with blown shocks. Changing your shocks, and keeping those springs, will keep your ride height the same. But if they turn out to be crap ebay springs, you may want to toss them. Installing shocks isn't hard, it's just a matter of having the right tools, and being prepared.

Koni Yellows are going to be the best shocks you can get within a reasonable price range... but Tokico makes some lower-priced options.

Old 02-27-2007, 05:16 PM

if its bouncin around like that, its gota be blown shocks...find out what springs u have, if their a good name brand, keep em and just buy some new shocks.

sway bars= less body roll
strut bars= less chassisflex

sway bars are the next best thing to a suspension upgrade, sometimes just as good or even better...but before u get sway bars, get new shocks so u still dont bouce around..

Old 02-27-2007, 10:27 PM
HCF Member

hows the install on struts or shockson a scale of 1-10? (for a noob haha)

Old 02-27-2007, 10:31 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: badb0ybilly

hows the install on struts or shockson a scale of 1-10? (for a noob haha)
4 or 5

Old 02-27-2007, 10:37 PM
HCF Member

is therea DIY on them? i know theres one about springs... and i've read it. but i honestly dont know anything about shocks or struts.

and if there isnt a diy would anyone mind walking me through it? ha.

thanks for the help guys

oh by the way. i checked the front of the car.. and if i push on it up n down n let go it stops like instantly. its just the back that bounces.. is that a good thing?

Quick Reply: loose suspension = (