Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

low to lower (Tein to Skunk 2)

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 10:27 AM
HCF Member
Default low to lower (Tein to Skunk 2)

I wanted to change out my Tein S-tech lowering springs for some Skunk2 lowering springs or mabey some H&R springs. Right now I have the Tein S-tech springs and Skunk 2 sport shocks. If I take the Tein's off myself, will I need a spring compressor to get them off? Or will this be a fairly straight forward swap because they are both lowered springs? I want to get rid of the S-techs because the wheel well gaps look off, the front gap is more then the rear(non existence in the rear) although when one person is in the car, the gaps even out and it looks ok, just when parked. What do you guys think, switch out the Tein springs for lower look, or leave the springs on? and get some 16 inch wheels? lol I just cant stand the wierd look when its parked.

Old 01-25-2008, 11:24 AM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: low to lower (Tein to Skunk 2)

well to change the springs YES YOU NEED TO USE A SPRING COMPRESSOR... you should be able to rent them from a autoparts store but if not they are preaty cheap...
but if you want THE PERFECT WHEEL GAP... then i would sugest some nice coilovers... that way you can set the ride EXACTLY where you want it!!!!!!

cause if you swap out the springs with other springs.... you still have no idea if it will sit the way you want it to...

thats why with my next suspension on my black civic im using some ground control adjustables so i can tweak the ride PERFECTLY LEVEL spring or winter!

Old 01-25-2008, 12:18 PM
HCF Member

ya that sounds good, I might look into some skunk2 coilovers. The reason I thought I could do the spring swap is that the Tein only lower something like frt 1.8"/1.7" rear, and skunk2 lower frt. 2.5"/2.25 rear So it would probally level my civic based on how it is now, of course taking spring rates and such into consideration, but I think I may just get some coilovers Thanks for the opinion

Old 01-25-2008, 09:37 PM

i could be reading wrong but i think ur thinking spring compressors do something different lol. u need spring compressors to remove the top hats safely. if u end up buying springs, u'll need the spring compressors to install the top hats. u take the suspension off the car, place the spring compressors on the spring and literally compress the spring to relieve pressure from the top hat. once pressure is reileved, u remove the bolt from the top and pull off the top hat. same process for installing new springs. BUT, if u decide to go with coilovers like the skunk2's, u wont need spring compressors to install the coilovers, just adjust the perch height so its fairly lowand bolt the top hat on. its easier with coilovers.

Old 01-26-2008, 06:36 PM
HCF Member

o, lol. What i meant by needing/using the spring compressor is that I thought since the springs are a shorter length then stock oem springs, I figured they would be loosely sprung on the shocks when removed with little to no compression force, but quickly realized that is dumb thinking and the shocks I have are actually shorter in length as well to match the aftermarket springs, and obviously the springs are compressed on (whatthe hell was i thinking)but thanks now I understand properly of what the compressor actually does anyways as I did not change them myself last time. Thanks though

Old 01-27-2008, 09:56 AM

def use a spring compressor to remove the teins. otherwise you might get hurt, BAD. coilovers are ideal if you got the dough, but since you already ahve performance shocks, you might wanna savw your $$ and get different springs.

Old 01-27-2008, 10:04 AM
Super Cereal Admin

Ground Control or Skunk2 coilover sleeves ftmfw!

Old 01-27-2008, 10:08 AM
Stinky Administrator

the tien springs will be shorter than oem but you will still need a compressor to change them

Old 01-27-2008, 04:43 PM
HCF Member

yup, lol reaper thats what im gonna look into, the skunk2 or ground control coilover sleeves,. lol ftmfw! But with those ground controls set, what ones would I buy? I see there are options for tokico, koni, kyb etc. but no options for Skunk2 shocks. These are decent nice set of shocks so Im not planning on just throwing them away as they did cost a bit of my $$ so for the ground controls, would I just choose the set for stock/oem application? to use with the skunk2 shocks? If I can't find a good answer Ill probally just go with the skunk2 sleeves as that is actually what my shocks are designed for so they say.

Old 01-27-2008, 04:54 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ya to remove even the stecs you still need to compress the springs to take off the tophats.
i just had mine off afew days ago to put stockers back on..
but with the new adjustable coilovers ya probably wont need the compressor BUT if ya rent the tool youll have it just incase you do need to compress them alittle.

not to tuff to swap the springs out.

Quick Reply: low to lower (Tein to Skunk 2)