Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

LOWERING?????

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 02:56 AM
Default LOWERING?????

what are some good brands for lowering springs or coilovers.....or anything.....i really dont know much about lowering cars or what goes into doing it.........any suggestions will be helpful.
thanks

Old 03-15-2007, 05:38 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: LOWERING?????

I have KYB GR2 struts which I got for about 160 on ebay with Neuspeed street springs which were like 180 on ebay. It's a great setup, I think a few other people on here have the same one.

Also, a lot of people sware by s-techs. They're made by Tein which is a great suspension company, I'm sure you can find a decently priced strut/spring setup from Tein.

Many people buy Tokico... I've heard a lot of bad things about their strut/spring setup like the front is higher than the back and the ride is rough. Although, my buddy had tokico struts with neuspeed springs and he loved it, but he says he likes my setup better.

It all depends man, what kind of money do you have to spend on suspension? I suggest you get some sway bars while you're at it, makes a huge difference.

edit: Also, are you going more for the look or both the look and performance? What kind of drop are you looking for? I wouldn't go more than 1.5 if your wheels are larger than 18s. You'll also have to calculate in the cost of a camber kit, for the front and rears. I still haven't gotten one but I'm going to need it real soon.

Old 03-15-2007, 11:07 AM
HCF Member

S-Techs for a simple, mild drop. Usually can find them for $150, about a 1.7" drop and you usually dont need a camber kit.

The KYBs and Neuspeeds like Rabbit said for a little more of a drop. Better quality, lower drop, but just costs a little more.

MXS has a crazy good setup but its not really necesarry for a daily driver. Ask her about it if you want more, shes put alot of time/money into her setup.

Old 03-15-2007, 11:33 AM
mxs
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: bxseven1eight

what are some good brands for lowering springs or coilovers.....or anything.....
springs/coilovers: Ground Control, Eibach, H&R, Neuspeed, Tein
shocks: Koni, Tokico, KYB

for reviews: check out the Product Review section.
for installation info: check out the DIY section.

Old 03-15-2007, 10:45 PM

thanks all im looking into it

Old 03-22-2007, 11:21 PM

not to jack a thread but i am kind of in the same dilemma. im not sure what the necessary actions are that need to be taken into lowering a car http://www.autocarparts.com/part/428/27/
i hear good thigns of these springs but what else is necessary to not have a haggard ride? thanks guys.

Old 03-22-2007, 11:25 PM
June 2010 ROTM

I have generic eBay coilovers that work just fine. I also have KYB AGX shocks. I like those over the KYB GR2s because, unlike the GR2s, the AGXs have adjustabledampening for everyday driving to racing. I would also reccomend Tein, Koni, and Eibach based off of word of mouth through my friends.

Old 03-22-2007, 11:34 PM

ok so i get the kyb shocks and neuspeed coilovers, what else will i need, struts and ?

Old 03-22-2007, 11:59 PM
June 2010 ROTM

There's is always confusion about this, shocks are just one part of the entire suspension system, while a strut is a complete suspension assembly that replaces the upper ball joint, shock, and spring with one unit. You only need the coilovers and shocks. You have the option of getting camber kits. These correct the camber (duh) when you lower your car. Your tire will angle inwards thus reducing the grip the tires get on the road and a camber kit will correct that. Oh, camber is the angle at which the wheel is. Your stock tie rods normally fix camber but only to a certain point. Once you lower it, the tie rods won't be able to correct the camber as far as it will need to be. Sorry for any redundancy.