Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Lowering Spring Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 01:28 PM
March 2010 ROTM
Default Lowering Spring Help!!

Im about to buy some springs to drop my car some. I have 17's so I cant go too much lower, but im stuck between brands right now. Im thinking Tein S-Techs, Dropzones, or Megan Racing Springs. Does anyone have anything to say about these choices that might help? And can I use these with stock parts or do I need new shocks and stuff too?

Old 09-05-2007, 02:52 PM
Super Cereal Admin
Default RE: Lowering Spring Help!!

I'd say of the three, Tein will be hands-down the best choice. That's not to say the other two aren't good companies (from what I've heard, Dropzone and Megan Racing offer great products for their prices), but Tein is pretty much better.

And I'm not sure about MR and Dropzone, but I know the S-techs are designed to be used with stock struts. But the stockshocks will prematurely blow out with any lowering springs. So the general idea is "why rip apart the suspension twice?".... that's why most people replace the shocks and springsat the same time.

Old 09-05-2007, 03:02 PM
March 2010 ROTM

Ive read that if you dont plan on lowering more than 1.5 inches, you dont need to get new shocks. But what do you know about coilovers? Im reading about Dropzone coilovers and Ground Control coilovers. What would be a good shock to go with if I get springs or coils? Im having trouble finding out much info with shocks.

Old 09-05-2007, 03:14 PM
Super Cereal Admin

From what I've heard, Dropzone coilovers are good for their price. As for me, I don't really believe in "cheaping out" on the devices that support my 2200lb chunk of metal. I went with Ground Controls, and haven't regretted it in the least... I'm very pleased with them.

As for shocks, you basically have two choices in the aftermarket world: adjustable and non-adjustable. I'd say if you just get lowering springs, get non-adjustable shocks; they're cheaper, and if you buy lowering springs, adjustability probably isn't a major concern anyway. With coilovers, since you can change the drop level, I'd say get adjustables. That way, you can stiffen or soften the shocks depending on how low your car is sitting. Personally, I have KYB AGX shocsk and am very pleased with them.

Basically, the top brands with shocks seem to be Tokico, KYB, and Bilstein... I know there's more, but those seem to be the top three choices... pretty much any shock you buy from those companies will be worth the price.

And if you're wondering, my Ground Control and KYB AGX setup cost a little over $700 for everything.

Old 09-05-2007, 05:20 PM
March 2010 ROTM

Was installation hard or did you pay to get it done?

Old 09-05-2007, 06:53 PM
HCF Member

tein all the way man!! thats wut i got and i love it!!! i got stock shocks and the ride did get a little rougher. but tein will make the ride site perfect. plus with the s techs u dont have to worry about hitting anything cuz ur to low. i got a lip and still dont hit anything. the only thing i got to watch out for is the parking blocks.

Old 09-06-2007, 12:59 PM
Super Cereal Admin

ORIGINAL: plethoric33

Was installation hard or did you pay to get it done?
it wasn't really hard... just frustrating. The fronts were no big deal, but if you do it yourself I'd recommend ordering new LCA bolts before you even start the install... I'd say there's probably about a 90% chance that your rear LCA boltswill be tooseized to get off without breaking them.

Old 09-06-2007, 01:58 PM

of the 3, Tein hands down. Megan Racing is a meh, i havnt heard much of anything about their springs, heard about the coilovers and they dont seem bad. i'd never buy Drop Zone considering i dont think they even have their own website, let alone have heard anything positive about them. if ur gena go for coilover sleeves, Ground Control is probably the best out there. may seem expensive but when u ride on em, its worth every penny. cant go wrong with adjustable shocks if u have the money. KYB AGX and Koni Yellows are very popular.