Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

lowering springs

Old 09-26-2007, 06:28 PM
Default lowering springs

Hey guys, wassup?

Kinda new to the forum here. My question was if you decide to go only lowering springswith about a 1.5" dropon stock shocks,how bad would they wear on the shocks compared to what would happen withstock springs. I know that any lowering springs would eventually blow out stock shocks, but I was wondering how fast that might occur if you planned on only a small drop?

I can get Tokico springs for $70 brand new with a 1.5" rear and 1.25" front drop or I could get Tein s-techs for $100.

Suggestions on what to do?

Old 09-26-2007, 06:55 PM
Default RE: lowering springs

with springs such as Tokicos or Tein S-Techs, the wear on the shocks wont be too bad, but it will prematurly wear them out. it shouldnt be very fast persay, could be a few months or could be a couple years, depends on the current condition of ur shocks and which springs u go with.

i would go with the Tein S-Techs mainly because i know the spring rates are pretty lowand because they give a nice drop. they work well with oem shocks and they should last u a while, atleast enough time for u to put some money aside to upgrade the shocks later if u cant now. many ppl will agree tho, if u can upgrade the shocks now, do it, installing everything at once and forgetting about it is much easier and less of a headache.

Old 09-28-2007, 09:35 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: lowering springs

agreed. s techs are the way to go. they look great if your tires aren't low profile like mine. i run on 17 inches and it causes the car to look higher. But i would expect between a 1.5 to 2 finger gap all around, depending on the size of your wheels. i run mine on an 01 coupe with stock shocks and so far so good. of course I'm saving money aside for coil overs in the future, but these s techs sure makes my car look sporty enough, and i dont have to worry too much about speed bumps, dips, pot holes, camber kit, even with a lip kit...