Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Need help with shocks

Old 09-05-2008, 08:53 AM
HCF Member
Red face Need help with shocks

hey guys wats up.im new at this so dont mind me.

the shocks on the back of my car is pretty bad, and i want to change everything b4 it becomes worst. everything meaning all four sides.
i also want to lower my car. can any one help me with this.
i have done some research but im not sure what it is that i have to change, i see coil overs, springs, shocks, shock absorbers etc.. and i dont know what it is that i have to purchase. can any one help?

Old 09-05-2008, 05:50 PM

alright here we go:
shocks, struts, and shock aborbers are three different phrases for the same thing: shocks
you will need a set of shocks. KYBs and Tokico shocks are pretty good relatively inexpensive performance shocks. I recommend KYB AGXs or Tokico Illuminas because they are adjustable in stiffness (really easy to adjust too), so you can adjust your ride comfort.
and now on to the next step...
You will need to choose between springs and coilovers. They each have their advantages and disadvantages.
Coilovers are adjustable in ride height, but are stiff and don't have very good ride comfort.
Springs are not adjustable in ride height (although there are all different springs you can buy that have different ride heights, but once you buy them you are stuck at the particular ride height of those springs.) Also, springs are more comfortable than coilovers.
Springs are wayyyyyyyyyy less expensive than coilovers.

Personally, I recommend getting KYB AGX shocks and H&R Sport Springs (1.6" rear, 1.8" front drop)
I have this setup and I love it.

My KYBs were $330 total on eBay, and my H&R Sport Springs were $180 total on ebay.
So that's $510 for that setup. Pretty good deal if you ask me.

Old 09-06-2008, 08:07 AM
HCF Member

okay well im gonna check that out on ebay. i always buy from there, so far no problems.
i was lookin at rides pictures, i gotta tell you man, i love the way u set up everything. i like wat u did with all the interior lights, love it!..i wanna do the same thing.
now b4 i get off track, u seem pretty cool ,and sem like u know ur stuff.
did you place the shocks in your self. or u had them put in?? and how hard would it be dooing it myself?
so the back shocks are gonna be higher than the front ones.. dats gonna look nice..

Old 09-06-2008, 09:33 AM
HCF Member
Smile

i found these:

1. Skunk 2 lowering **springs** for $159.00
• 1.5” - 1.75” Average Drop

2. KYB GR-2 **SHOCKS & SPRINGS** for $300.00 + 60.00 shipping
1.5 inch drop all around for springs, non adjustable shocks

3. H&R sport **Springs** for $159.00 + 40.00 shipping
front: 1.75" rear:1.5"

4. Tokico HP **Shocks/Struts** Set for $289.00 free shipping
Non-Adjustable Performance Shocks

5. KYB AGX Front & Rear **Struts/Shocks** for $334.00 free shiping
Manually adjustable struts

i personally like #1 and #5 combo.

Old 09-06-2008, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by jrestrepo589
okay well im gonna check that out on ebay. i always buy from there, so far no problems.
i was lookin at rides pictures, i gotta tell you man, i love the way u set up everything. i like wat u did with all the interior lights, love it!..i wanna do the same thing.
now b4 i get off track, u seem pretty cool ,and sem like u know ur stuff.
did you place the shocks in your self. or u had them put in?? and how hard would it be dooing it myself?
so the back shocks are gonna be higher than the front ones.. dats gonna look nice..
I put them in. The first time I installed shocks and springs I had no prior suspension experience and just used a Haynes manual. It took me 8 long hours, but I got it done. The next time I did it (I made a mistake the first time and bought cheap ebay springs) was with the KYBs and H&Rs, and it took me about 3 hours. If you are good at following instructions while working on your car, you shouldn't have too much trouble. It really is just time consuming, mainly because you have to do the same thing 4 times.
You'll need to rent a pair of spring compressors from the auto parts store (it's like $40 and when you take them back you get your $40 back)

Well, it's only .2" higher in the back so human eyes will never notice the difference. However, I think it kinda has a more aggressive stance like that, but it's more of a subliminal thing.
i found these:

1. Skunk 2 lowering **springs** for $159.00
• 1.5” - 1.75” Average Drop

5. KYB AGX Front & Rear **Struts/Shocks** for $334.00 free shiping
Manually adjustable struts

i personally like #1 and #5 combo.
I've never had the Skunk2, but they usually make a good product and is a name brand so i'd say they're probably good. I have personal experience with the KYB AGXs and I love them. I think that what you picked out will probably be a good setup.

Old 09-06-2008, 08:49 PM
HCF Member

yea i think i would rather just have them placed in. i know one of my buddies knows how to do that stuff, im gonna ask him, he got all the equipment at his shop. but yea i like the skunk 2 but H&R seems a little more durable brand. so i dont mid payin the extra 40 for some better performance. soo im gonna go ahead and look into buying the H&R springs and the KYB shocks.

by the way, how did you change the color of the lights all around your dash? im lookin into doing that too, i think it seems pretty basic.

this week coming up im getting my new engine placed in the car, so im gonna also have the shocks put in.

Old 09-06-2008, 08:58 PM

yea i think i would rather just have them placed in. i know one of my buddies knows how to do that stuff, im gonna ask him, he got all the equipment at his shop. but yea i like the skunk 2 but H&R seems a little more durable brand. so i dont mid payin the extra 40 for some better performance. soo im gonna go ahead and look into buying the H&R springs and the KYB shocks.

by the way, how did you change the color of the lights all around your dash? im lookin into doing that too, i think it seems pretty basic.
Sounds good.

On the dash lights, originally what I did was just get different color bulbs. they kept burning out, so I bought these (5mm ones) you'll need to order like 11: http://www.oznium.com/prewired-leds

On the back of the gauge cluster is a flimsy circuit board, and contacts are on it where each bulb goes. (Make sure you only replace the bulbs that are for illuminating the cluster, not for warning lights and such) Simply remove the old bulb and bulb socket, and solder each new bulb's wire leads to the corresponding contact. You'll need to figure out which contact is positive and which is negative, do this by trial and error. Once you have the wiring correct and it all soldered in, take a hot glue gun and glue the bulbs into place. Reassemble the dash pieces you removed and enjoy.

Old 09-07-2008, 06:34 AM
HCF Member

do you know wich ones extacly i need to remove?
i looked at the site. pretty cool wit what u can do with those leds
but one question, did u just buy a blue bulbs or did u paint anything?. on ur dash

Old 09-07-2008, 06:41 AM
HCF Member

o yea and where did u solder ur wires to? do you have any pics u took of it b4?

Old 09-07-2008, 09:29 AM

do you know wich ones extacly i need to remove?
i looked at the site. pretty cool wit what u can do with those leds
but one question, did u just buy a blue bulbs or did u paint anything?. on ur dash
nah idk which ones exactly. mine is different from yours. when you are removing them just look on the front and remove the ones on the back that don't look like they're for status lights like "SRS" turn signals, high beams, "BRAKE", etc.
i just bought blue bulbs
those pics in my album are actually with just the colored replacement bulbs. the new bulbs look even better than that.
nah i don't paint my dash. lol

o yea and where did u solder ur wires to? do you have any pics u took of it b4?
The spot that you remove the bulb from has a hole where the bulb goes. Directly around that hole are two contacts, a positive and a negative. They are not labeled. You have to find out which one is which by trial and error.
sorry, i don't have any pics. i didn't take any pics because i figured no one would need them because my del sol has a completely different dash than any car besides del sol.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need help with shocks