Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Need new tires. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 06:29 PM
Default Need new tires. Help!

Like subject says. I have some GSR rims so ima go with 195 55 15. My dilema is that Im not sure what tires to buy. Have you guys ever heard of these tires http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....nSpeedRating=V. They got pretty good reviews. Any suggestions are welcomed. I am looking for a good all season tire that will performe very well in the winter (rain). My budget is no more than $350. Thanks in advance.

Old 05-29-2008, 07:44 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Need new tires. Help!

Consumer Reports tested all-season UHP (Ultra High Performance) and Summer UHP tires. First, I'll briefly mention the best tires (at any cost) for Summer (dry and wet roads) and then I'll point out the lower-cost high-achievers. My Honda now has the #1-rated Falken ZE-912s.

You can't go wrong with any of the following

(Summer tires):

Michelin PS2 (excellent braking, worse than average tread life)
Pirelli P-Zero (excellent dry and wet handling and braking)
BF Goodrich KDW2s (loudest)
Bridgestone Potenza RE 050 A (excellent braking, but worse than average tread life)
Goodyear GSD3s (above average tread life)
Michelin Pilot Exalto PE2 (best tread life)
Dunlop SP Sport Max (excellent hydroplane resistance, but worse than average tread life)
All of those are fairly expensive.

Inexpensive Summer tires that did well:

Kumho Ecsta SPT (excellent hydroplavne resistance but worse than average tread life)
Fuzion Zri (great price andabove avg handling and braking,but much worse than avg tread life)
BF Goodrich g-Force Sport (Excellent dry braking and good-to-above average in every other category)

Low-cost All-Season tires and their overall placement:

#1 Falken Ziex ZE-912 (Above average braking and hydroplane resistance, but below avg tread life) Very good price, average handling.
#2 Nitto Neo Gen ZR (above avg braking and quietness) Excellent price
#4 Falken Ziex ZE-512 (handling and tread life are a bit weak, but braking is above avg)
#5 General Exclaim UHP Excellent hydroplane resistance and above average quietness, but average handling and below avg tread life.

Old 05-29-2008, 07:48 PM
HCF Member

i've got BFG G-forces in195/55/r15'sand love em, great traction and low sound, perfect for a low powered car such as a civic.

Old 05-29-2008, 08:01 PM

the tires u linked are summer tires, probably wont fair to well in winter. true all seasons generally do not perform very well as far as grip goes. if u want performace, go with a summer tire like the Kumho SPT's, BFG Sports or Dunlop DZ101. those all perform great in wet and dry conditions and are around ur price range.