Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

new wheels and problems HELP! UPDATE

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 11:54 AM
Default new wheels and problems HELP! UPDATE

updates are written at the bottom with Puple text

Hi, All..
I got my new set of wheel today at Pepboy. After market brand, Hankook 195/60 15R 88H for my 2002 hatch back si. I went with a after market brand and cheaper rating ( stock was Michellen 195/60 15R 88V rating) because I couldn't afford $170/tire. I hope this doesn't effect much on daily driving performance.

Anyways.. I decided to do the alignment at the Honda Dealerb/c some of my friends said something like alignment is very important therefore go to the Honda expert. I'm scheduled to do one tomorrow morning but here are my worries.

So Itestdrove withnew tires today and it drives really funny. My sterling wheel seems like it does have much control over my tires and don't have much grips. Meaning I used to drive with my one figer tip andwas able tocontrol the movement. But now I really gotta be careful b/c my caris so unstable.
EDIT: TO BE MORE SPECIFIC, MY STERLING WHELL IS MUCH LIGHTER, I'M NOT SURE IF THIS IS GOOD OR BAD BUT DEFINATELY DIFFERNT FROM BEFORE. IT WAS MORE STURDY AND HEAVY BEFORE CHANGING TIRES.
It reminded me of drivinga badamerican rental car.[:@]
Before when I had old tires and even with a major accident, my car had better grip then it does now!
I thinking once alingment is done my car should gain its grips.
What do you think?

And my questions are
1)would this be fixed once I get my alingment?
2)can the H rating tires minimize the control over sterling wheel?
3)is it true you can't regain the performance after new parts?
does your sterling wheel grips loose after changing your stock tires?

Thanks and I'll let you guys know after alignment works.
I can't wait to find out tomorrow..

Old 10-28-2007, 02:23 PM
Default RE: new wheels and problems HELP!

well new wheels/tires will not affect ur alignment at all so u probably dont need to have that done. what u need is to have ur new wheels balanced...and u should have bought better tires.

its always best to be patient, save up money, do research and then buy w/e u want to buy. now ur gena be waisting some money and probably not be as happy.

Old 10-28-2007, 02:34 PM
HCF Member

The different rating would make your steering response slower, but would not make your car unstable. The dealership should take your car for a test-drive after and maybe before the alignment. If they find anything that is not right, they will let you know.

By the way, V-rated tires are fairly inexpensive at the Tirerack:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....nSpeedRating=V

Old 10-28-2007, 04:22 PM

you mean slower response @ any speed?
I though rating means the max. speed and contorl thefore I thought my new tires can't go up to what V rating used to do.
I'm driving on local street at 40 miles/hr and that seems funny and I feel it really differnt when I'm driving to my carport making a quick turn with the sterling wheel my car doesn't follow my hand as it used to be.

Old 10-28-2007, 04:25 PM

sh*t!! Why would Pepboy say there won't be any difference?
I'm talking about local and highway drivings. I don't need to go on race track and do crazy speeding.
Afterall what it's doing now is due to my new tires? I'm really bumped.
This isn't something you can take it back and get refun like clothes. I really regret. I loved my si for it's corner cut on local and stabilities, but I ain't going to have this at all!?[X(]

Old 10-28-2007, 06:08 PM
mxs
HCF Member

Check your tire pressure? You might have way too much air in the tires

Old 10-28-2007, 06:29 PM

I haven't checked the pressure but I'm assuming Pepboy did the job when they installed.
But I'll double check with my Honda Dealer tomorrow when they do the alligment.
I doubt my sterling wheel feels so light due to air amount in the tires.. what do you think?

Old 10-28-2007, 06:53 PM
mxs
HCF Member

it certainly could. And don't trust Pep Boys to do everything perfectly. Buy a $5 tire gauge and check it yourself. The more air you have in the tires, the smaller the contact patch with the ground. No contact = no resistance....

Old 10-28-2007, 07:00 PM

Hopefully this is the case, b/c I won't want to resell the new tires and have to go get a set of Michellens. $$
I just went out and look for that gauge, can't find it.. I inherited one from my older bro's acura. damn it..
This will probably keep me all night worrying..[]

Old 10-28-2007, 09:47 PM

I just measured the pressure and it was around 38 psi on all 4 wheels. If I measured them correctly.
This is way more than what it's suppose to be for 28 (front) 33 (rear) for 195/60 r 15 88v.
But then again I have 88H, I'm not sure how much for that size need to be in but 38 psi seems like way too high. I'm going to have the Honda Dealer to adjust the pressure as well.. Now I know not to trust Pepboys..

Quick Reply: new wheels and problems HELP! UPDATE