Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

News Pads Squeaking Problem

Old 03-20-2009, 02:35 PM
HCF Member
Default News Pads Squeaking Problem

I changed my old front brake pads about 2 weeks ago. The driver side is fine and hasn't made a noise. The passenger side however at first was squeaking only while reversing out of parking spots (with wheel turned either way). I disasembled it and cleaned all the parts and greased the retainer clips, back of the pad, and around the seal and caliper. Put it back together and it didn't fix the problem and just 3 days ago the brake has started squeaking almost constantly (even without pressing the brake pedal). Seems to start squeaking if I take a hard turn and it deffinetely is the brake that is squeaking. What else can I try before I have to pay a mechanic?

Old 03-20-2009, 02:45 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Is it a 95 EX?

Double check the pad and retainer clip installation. Did you install the inner pad with the wear indicator situated upward?

Old 03-21-2009, 08:18 AM
HCF Member

95 CX
it has 4 disc brake conversion from a Del Sol (Iwrote down the year somewhere, 93 I think).
I know the outside pad has the wear indicator at the top, im sure the inner pad is the same but I will check.

Old 03-21-2009, 08:22 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Only the inside pad should have a wear indicator, and it should be pointing upward. You may have mistakenly installed both pads with an indicator on one side. If so, the other side has no pad with a wear indicator.

Name:  picture_2190.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  110.9 KB

Name:  picture_2191.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  73.7 KB

Last edited by RonJ; 03-21-2009 at 08:25 AM.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:42 PM
HCF Member

Ok I'll check that tomorrow I have the day off work.
seems kinda stupid that the wear indicator would be on the inside where you cant see it.

Old 03-24-2009, 07:28 PM
HCF Member

Some pads will squeek no matter what you do. I've found that the quietest pads are either:

a) Factory or
b) Pads that are labeled as "Quiet pads" or wording to that nature at the auto parts store.

Old 03-31-2009, 02:37 PM
HCF Member

Both pads are the same, I have no idea what the wear indicator is supposed to look like. I thought it was the depressed line in the middle of the pad? There is dirt/little pieces of graval getting stuck on the backing plates and around the rubber thats around the piston, is this causing the squeaking and how can I fix this?

Old 03-31-2009, 02:53 PM
HCF Member

Pulled off the side that i changed that doesnt squeak and have checked, all 4 pads are exactly the same...passenger side still squeaking.

Old 03-31-2009, 04:02 PM
HCF Member

Make sure your caliper is working poperly and not sticking. IF you them you nyou need to rebuild/replace it. Had this problem on my accord wore out the pads on one side in like 2 months.

Old 03-31-2009, 06:29 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by bcrichguitars
Both pads are the same, I have no idea what the wear indicator is supposed to look like. I thought it was the depressed line in the middle of the pad? There is dirt/little pieces of graval getting stuck on the backing plates and around the rubber thats around the piston, is this causing the squeaking and how can I fix this?
A wear indicator is typically a soft metal tab that makes a distinct sound when the pad is thin enough to allow the tab to touch the rotor. This sound will occur only when your foot is OFF the brake pedal.

Your best bet may be to install some factory or pads labeled as QUIET.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: News Pads Squeaking Problem