Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

To paint or not to paint

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 09:39 PM
Default RE: To paint or not to paint

I'm using a high gloss black paint from my dads metal fab shop used to paint elevator bases which people walk on all day, i mean these are freight elevators so the paint lasts and I'm taking the rims off 6 months outta the year, im not worried so if they chip the slightest bit I'll just repaint them i the booth again. Powdercoating would be nice but i dont have a 3rd testie to sell. So im gona idex card the rims ad try and make them look nice. ^ Hail you got anymore pics of yours besides the ones in ur sg I see you went for the polished lip look to I like that.

Old 06-04-2007, 11:23 AM
HCF Member

Just my 2 cents on paint v. powdercoat...I was in this situation about a year ago.

Although powdercoating would undoubtedly be more durable, it has some downsides:
1. Around here, unless you have a tool to pop the tire on and off the rim, you'll have to get (pay) someone to do this to take it to the powdercoat shop. This of course takes time and money.
2. Then its around 200 bucks to do all the wheels.

Painted mine for probably $20-25 bucks, but I took my time. Prep is so so important, and a year and a couple months later, through salt and sand and snow they still shine like new.

But it took me pretty much 7-8 hours straight work, wet sand, dry sand, 4 coats of wheel paint and 3 coats of clear coat. Hey, I went overboard but I wanted them to last.

So, if you have the money and time, powdercoat, but paint, if done properly, can look real good for several years...

Old 06-07-2007, 07:39 PM
HCF Member

3rd testie.....thats funny......