Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Performance brakes or factory?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 10:10 AM
Default Performance brakes or factory?

Hello everybody. I would like to replace the rotors in my Honda Civic 2002 EX. They sound just like they are gone (grinding), but the reality is that the rotors are rusted a little bit, and that's what's making the car sound like that. I have been thinking about getting a good pair of performance rotors (the ones with the wholes in it, right?) and good brake pads, or just get factory rotors.

Should i resurface them (the old ones)? Or should i just get the performance ones?

How is my vehicle going to perform after getting the performance ones? is there really a difference?

What about the brake pads, will the really make a difference when they are of a higher quality (well, i kinda know that they do, but why???)

Thank you everybody for your help!

Old 09-20-2006, 04:52 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Performance brakes or factory?

If there is a grinding from the brakes, that will be caused by the pads bieng worn down. Check the pads. If the rotors are not thick enough to be cut then you have to get new rotors. As far as performance rotors, some people say they help and others say they dont' do anything. If you have some rims, then performance rotors will give you a more performance look. I would look into some performance pads (Hawk, AEM, etc). I have a set of Hawk ceramic pads on my car and they work well, everyone who drives it says my car stops really well. The difference between performance pads and OE pads is the material that they are made out of. Performance pads don't have as much brake fade and stop better.