Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Wont move! CV?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 09:27 AM
Default Wont move! CV?

Ok here is the deal. I have a 92 civic and 2 days ago the right front started clicking or clanking. Sounded like the cv. This morning i get in it to head out to work backed out of driveway and put it in first gear it moved about 2 feet heard a clank and now it will not move at all.

Is it the cv? If so can some one explain how to change it or direct me to some online material that can explains it. Can i change one or do i need both(ie whole axle). Any help would be greatly appreciatied.

Thanx
Mark

Old 09-20-2006, 04:57 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Wont move! CV?

First, you need to find out what the problem is. It could be the CV but it could also be something else. Like if your parking pawl on ur trans is stuck then your car will not work. Anyway, get the car up on jack stands (Both sides). Next visually inspect both axles. Check to see if the boots on the CV joints are broken. After you have done that, turn the wheels (while the car is up) by hand. In park, the wheels should move opposite of each other (one will go clock-wise, the other will go counter clock-wise). Next put the car is neutral (no need to turn the engine on) and turn the wheels by hand. They should move in the same direction. Post results for furthur help if you need it. As far as the axle goes, there are already a couple threads on it so use the search feature.

Old 09-20-2006, 08:35 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Wont move! CV?

can you put your car in gear? is it hard or easy? the reason why i'm asking is the same thing happened to me a couple of days ago. put it in 1st gear and moved about 2 ft and heard a clank. turned out that i blew my tranny.