Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Powder coating help

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2005, 11:05 PM
Default Powder coating help

hey i want to powder coat my rims but ive heard its not good to... is it better to just paint them? or what? ima little confused here.... i live in CA the Gardena, Long beach, Torrance, Carson area... anyone know any good plaves that powder coat with good ovens?... also should i just paint them?.. im really confused now cuz i decided to just get them powdr coated then found out about this! haha so any help will be greatly appreciated

Old 04-14-2005, 11:08 PM
Default RE: Powder coating help

Don't paint them, powdercoat them...There is a good place here in Ohio that does a great job...If you'd like their phone number and their name I will e-mail it to you..

Later
WheelBroker[sm=gears.gif]

Old 04-14-2005, 11:12 PM

but didnt they say like powder coating thm weakens the wheel or something like that? whats that about? any info on that...

Old 04-14-2005, 11:17 PM

Naw, your just applying heat to the wheels after you have powdercoated them, I think 350 degrees for 20 minutes, then they go to cool down and their done..this guy heats them up in Pizza Ovens...

WheelBroker

Old 04-14-2005, 11:20 PM

o i ci c.... so its ok to powder coat them... nothing will happen to them... like they wont weaken or anything? .... whats scaicons talkin about then?.... im lost here ur sayin this and hes sayin something else! ahhhh cn u break it down to me and explain y there sayin that and y ur sayin wat ur sayin.. sorry im confused

Old 04-14-2005, 11:31 PM

anyone?

Old 04-15-2005, 01:33 AM
HCF Member

if its done in pizza ovens, i wouldnt let them do it. it CAN be done safely, but its done differently than most powdercoating. it needs to be done at a lower temp, and at a very stable temp. look around local places and talk to people who do it, and see how nice of an oven they have. im supposed to get the pics of the wheels that got messed up from it, and when i do, ill post em.

Old 04-15-2005, 01:35 AM

cuz the place im goin to or i was talkin to the guy... i have to give him my rims.. and then he sends em in to a place to get them powder coated.... i dunno... its a place in long beach called performance plus tire.. they have a site too... performanceplustire.com anyways.. can u plz help me on how to know where to powder coat them etc... any way i can know like wat do i ask them or anything?

Old 04-15-2005, 10:06 AM

my neighbor works at place where they powdercoat airplane parts and stuff so he did mine for free...and i havent had any problems. Im not sure what kind of over they were put in though, im sure it was top of the line this is a huge warehouse that powdercoats airplane parts.

Old 04-15-2005, 10:38 AM
HCF Member

yeah, youll probably be fine. but its hard to say what to do. i guess just go with your gut instincts. ill try to find those pics though.

Quick Reply: Powder coating help