Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

'Rear disc conversion

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2006, 03:28 PM
HCF Member
Default 'Rear disc conversion

Has anyone taken the rear discs off of an Integra and swapped them onto an EK chassis? I have recently bought the rear trailing arms off of a 96 Integra and now wish to graft them onto my 2000 EX, I know I need the brake cables, but what about brake booster and aw crap I forgot the name, but the little spider web looking thing with all the lines coming out of it. Just in case this helps, I do NOT have ABS on my car. Has anyone else done this swap and if so what else do I need? Thanks for any help in advance.

Old 06-24-2006, 09:06 PM
Default RE: 'Rear disc conversion

You shouldn't NEED the booster and proportional valve. Its recomended because your brake booster won't give you quite as much power for the amount you push and your proportional valve won't give the ideal ratio of braking between the front and rear because it's designed for rear drums.

I did the swap on the rear end of my EG and I'm not planning on putting in the booster from the integra because the brake 'feel' doesn't seem to be suffering. I'm planning on installing an adjustable proportioning valve instead of the stock integra one because it's less than $100, almost as easy to install, and gives me more tweaking options.

make sure to buy new brake lines, new control arm bushings, and be ready to run out to the auto parts store for bolts

ok.. and don't use WD40. use PB, or Beaver, or some other high tech bolt releaser.

Old 06-25-2006, 09:13 PM
HCF Member

Hey Stimpy thanks for the info. I already have the new bushings and will be getting stainless lines I think. Were would I get one of these adjustable valves from? If I did the booster would it make a difference or you don't know? I plan on doing this in the next 2 weeks so I have some time to get the rest of the parts I need. Let me know of anything else you remember that I might need. Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.

Old 06-26-2006, 01:17 PM

just type up "adjustable proportioning valve" on google and you'll find a bunch. there are a few how-toos out there that might be helpfull since you'll probably be cutting brake lines.

Other people have said they feel a difference from the booster swap. I think it's been described as feeling tighter. The reason I'm not doing it is that I can lock up my tires now so I'm getting enough pressure already, and I think it's nice having the longer travel on the brake pedal because I think I'll be able to regulate the pressure better. BUT, look at other people's opinions with a forum search, I'm not speaking from experience since I haven't done the swap.

Old 06-26-2006, 02:25 PM
HCF Member

How much is this costing you?

Old 06-26-2006, 06:59 PM
Cat Fuсker

integra prop valve is the best option IMO since you can't mess it up

it's under 300 if you spend wisely

Old 06-28-2006, 12:37 PM

It's definately going to be set up to be safe if you go with the integra one, the civic one doesn't give enough power to the rear discs so it's safe but not optimal. The reason I'm figuring on an adjustable one is that after lowering the car a bit, stiffening up the suspension a bit, and putting a heavier engine under the hood, weight distribution during braking is going to be different than what the engineers planned on. I'd rather tune the braking myself so I know its still set up right. As long as its tuned correctly, the worst case is that I'm wasting my time, best case is better braking

Old 06-28-2006, 07:34 PM

i am doing this same swap this weekend. should i still use the proportioning valve off the doner car since it came with antilock. or keep the one for the drum brakes. not sure witch would be better.
thanks

Old 06-28-2006, 08:13 PM
Cat Fuсker

ABS one will not work