Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Rear tires wearing funny.

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 07:28 PM
HCF Member
Default Rear tires wearing funny.

Yep, been about a year now since I upgraded to the 16" rims with Toyo tires. The car has driven great, and I can't complain, but the last few months I had been noticing a roar comming from the trunk area, getting louder by the week. After I lifted her up to rotate them I noticed the issue, the tires aren't wearing correctly in the back.

On the inner side of the tire, there are raised places, almost like every other tread pattern is higher, then lower, then high again. Outter edge facing the road is actualy kind of dry-rotted and splitting where it seems to be wearing too fast.

Front tires look great.

When I installed them, I was told most likely I wouldn't need to get the camber kit and all that, but it looks like I lucked out.

Does it sound like a simple camber adjustment, or maybe some saggy springs or old parts.

Old 10-29-2008, 07:40 PM
HCF Member

That usually occurs with fwd vehicles. It due to the decreased weight in the rear of the vehicle that causes sudden bouncing which therefore scalps your inner rear tires. This is common with incorrect alignment and severe camber problems. A good idea is a camber kit and a good alignment depending on your level of drop.

Old 10-30-2008, 05:08 AM
Cat Fuсker

Are you lowered? What's the air pressure in your rears? Sometimes incorrect air pressure will cause that.

Old 10-30-2008, 06:58 AM
HCF Member

I run toyo's, they have a 50psi max, I usualy run them at 45, front and rear, and rarely do they get off more then a few psi at a time before i check them.

The car hasn't been lowered, although I thought about dropping 1 inch, I never got around to it because the location I live in has lots of little pot-hole driveways and older backroads that require the extra ground clearance.

The back does have a speaker box, speakers, and amp in it now, that it probably wasn't setup to haul around. However I ran the system for some time with the stock wheels and tires, and never really noticed an issue with tire wear. Whatever it is has to be the new geometry of the larger rims and smaller tires.

I am going to have to get in a shop in the next few weeks. I just hoped I could get any parts I might need through ebay and save from the shop pricing. A camber kit wouldn't kill me.

Old 10-30-2008, 09:37 AM
Cat Fuсker

The geometry shouldn't have changed.

Old 10-30-2008, 11:15 AM
HCF Member

try lowering the pressure all around to about 40 psi and rotate your tires front to back every few thousand miles.

Old 10-30-2008, 11:48 AM
HCF Member

+1 I've seen the same thing on a set of tires that were not balanced corectly as well.

Old 10-30-2008, 01:54 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ya two recomendations is get tires ballanced and inspected for any bends on them, and then take the car to a alignment shop with a print out sheet to show you how the alignment is! i know midas does it here at least....

i have no odd tire wearing issues and my camber isnt perfect but as close as the alignment guy could do without rubbing....

Old 10-30-2008, 02:57 PM
HCF Member

I will get them in a shop and have the wheels themselves inspected, and rotate them faster for sure. I kind of wish they hadn't of been directional, that way I could have just swapped sides every few thousand, and worn them evenly.

It does look as if a small weight may have been thrown on the passenger side, but I couldn't for the life of me think that would wear both sides exactly the same, and not hurt the front at all. Thats why I was sticking to the alingment/parts problem. I figure since its the rear end only, it has to be some sort of change. Other then the heavier speaker box and the strut bar, no changes have been made. So either parts are going bad, alingment is off, or pressure is killing these tires.

I had to return one after I got the wheels, for a high spot, which made the wheel shake. I might have to abandon Toyo if this keeps happening. Wife's Khumo's are barely showing any wear after
30k.

I am going to wait it out a few weeks, maybe get it aligned around christmas. I will try the pressure trick as well. They feel pretty hard to me, like they are too tight, but when they get very low the handling goes to ****. I will test a few theories.

Thanks guys.

Last edited by Stumasters; 10-30-2008 at 03:00 PM.
Old 10-30-2008, 03:10 PM
Recognized HCF Member

well another question..... did you get your alignment done before or after slapping in your stereo? that could effect the alignment if ya had it done before droping in the stereo....

ive been buying kumos for my last few rims and they where all great. ive used there ASX tires and never had any problems with them other than a bad ballance job from stupid people at the tire shop. and then they slaped some centric rings on the wheels as well which finaly ballanced them out perfectly for awhile. tho lately one of my wheels started vibrating so i had them reballanced and they still shake alittle but i havent drove the car enough for it to really bother me.

Quick Reply: Rear tires wearing funny.