Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Rough Ride

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2004, 12:28 AM
Default Rough Ride

Hi, this is my first post...and I have a problem... I have some coil-over and some cheap shocks that I got from ebay called, "Dropzone"....It has been given me a rough ride. I can feel the little bumps on the road but with big bumps, it seems to handle it okay. I rode in my brother's friend's civic. His civic looks like mine, probably same year too and he only has stock shocks on with coil-overs but the ride was so much better. I don't know if it's my shocks or what?

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Old 09-28-2004, 01:45 AM
NTX
HCF Member
Default RE: Rough Ride

You guys have your cars lowered to the same ride height? Does he have the same brand coil-overs?

Old 09-28-2004, 11:57 AM

I have tried all heights. First try, I didn't realize that I was suppose to remove the bump stop. After I remove the bump stop, it has been better but not to the quality of what my friend's ride can offers. No, I don't think he has the same brand of coil-overs. But does it really make that much of a difference? All them coil-overs look alike...... I forgot the brand of my coil-overs but my shocks are "DropZone" <http://www.dropzonesuspension.com/>. Again, on bumps, I can feel the sudden thump like there's no suspension in my car. It was worse when I still have my bump stop in. But sometimes roads have sudden drops too like when the pavement is a little higher than sewer lids, on those drops, it handles well. haha I don't know if you all know what I'm trying to say here... For example on bumps that concave upward, I can feel it. On drops(bumps) that concave downward, it handles fine. I got both my shocks and coil-overs from ebay and I always look for the cheapest price too. Maybe being cheap finally caught up to me.

Any ideas on how I can fix this?

Old 09-28-2004, 01:09 PM

THANKS man....i was gonna by some cheap sh*t too.... thanks man...you changed my mind

Old 09-28-2004, 06:12 PM
HCF Member

it sounds like you a re still riding on the bumpstops, try raising the car about 1/2 inch. see if it helps since you cut the bumpstops.

Old 09-28-2004, 08:56 PM

i have dz colovers and have had no porblem, never tried their shocks tho....youi do know that coilovers give a rough ride to begin with dont you...are you sure this bumpy ride you are feeling isnt just becase they are coilovers?....i had my stock shocks for a while with the dz coilovers and i felt the ride quality to be a lot more rough with the stock shocks then with the kybs i put on afterwards...just thought id mention the point that coilovers are a rough ride..

Old 09-28-2004, 10:26 PM

sacicons, I have removed all bumpstops.

ohbiskts, i had my coil-overs for a few months now and it still feels the same. haha, the problem is that I can't determine whether if it's my coil-overs or my shocks that are giving me this rough ride. Is there a way that I can figure this out? I want to figure it out so I can make the changes. I just don't want to spend more money buying a whole new suspension but just the parts that I need.

Old 09-28-2004, 10:35 PM

oh i totaly understand bro... i can tell you this much if you want to see if your shocks are bad(which could cause your ride to be more bumpy) bounce your car with your hands and if it bouches a couple more times after you stop then your shocks may be bad....if only one and a half or so more ur ok..also with my stock shocks when one went bad i jacked up the car and there was hydrolic fluid EVERYWHERE..but im guessing not gunna happen with gas shocks...now u say you put new shocks so thats probably not your problem...huh...and you have riddin with ur buddy who has coilovers too and his ride quality feels better?...if your shocks arnt bad i dont know bro...sorry

Old 09-28-2004, 10:55 PM

thanks bro.. I appreciated it. I know it's hard to disinguished the problem.. my shocks aren't bad... I know...because.. I took them out the other day and they are still working.... it's just the ride quality that pisses me off... and I don't know if it's my cheap coil-over or my cheap shocks.....again, thanks..

Old 09-28-2004, 11:09 PM

yea bro no problem...good luck

Quick Reply: Rough Ride