Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Running on stilts

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 11:17 PM
HCF Member
Default Running on stilts

Alright, I currently have 17" rims and it feels like I'm running on stilts, I feel every single move in the road. What can I change to the suspension to make it feel like a better ride?

Old 04-03-2007, 11:35 PM
Default RE: Running on stilts

u want a smoother ride or u want better handling?

Old 04-04-2007, 12:59 AM
HCF Member

Both, decided to go with the tokico hp kit that ayri recommended me.

What would this improve the most? Ride or handling?

Old 04-04-2007, 08:47 AM

well for the most part, better handling means rougher ride. the Tokico's are stiffer than the stock suspension so it'll be a slightly rougher ride but it'll handle a bit better aswell. things u can do to make a smoother ride and get better handling: smaller/lighter/wider wheels, better tires,sway bars, and strut/tie bars.

Old 04-04-2007, 08:53 AM
HCF Member

let this be a lesson to everybody:

getting large rims and aftermarket suspension (especially coilovers) will produce a rough ride. it will never be as smooth and comfortable as your OEM setup, so choose your suspension upgrades wisely.

as for the poster of this thread, you'll eventually get used to the bumps in the road. if you want to take a bit of the edge off. downgrade to 15 inch rims and get appropriately sized tires with stiff sidewalls to maintain some degree of better handling.

Old 04-04-2007, 03:32 PM
HCF Member

is your civic lowered?

Old 04-04-2007, 04:28 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: civicexracer

well for the most part, better handling means rougher ride. the Tokico's are stiffer than the stock suspension so it'll be a slightly rougher ride but it'll handle a bit better aswell. things u can do to make a smoother ride and get better handling: smaller/lighter/wider wheels, better tires,sway bars, and strut/tie bars.
wider tread gives you a rougher ride, not a smoother ride, but it gives you a larger capacity for vertical friction due to the increased SA

Old 04-04-2007, 04:43 PM

ORIGINAL: ej6buddy

wider tread gives you a rougher ride, not a smoother ride, but it gives you a larger capacity for vertical friction due to the increased SA
i said wider wheels because u can stick a wider tire on there for better handling. a wider tire wont affect ride quality all that much if at all any..

Old 04-04-2007, 05:06 PM
Recognized HCF Member

o ya any larger wheel will give a ruffer ride feel...... just look at the rubber tires sidewalls... thats where ya get your comfort..... the stocker 13s or what ever have LOTS of sidewal so thiers pleanty of flex and cusion to conform to the road easier.... which should smooth over the bumps and cracks of the road......
think about it....
get a tooth brush and then a painters brush..... and pull it over a crack in the road or sidewalk the large brush brissles move alot..... more confort on the handle... now a tooth brush with the short brisles will be ruffer on the handle...
same concept... larger sidewalls are thiner and smaller sidewalls are thicker.

BUT for me.... the cosmetic looks of a 17inch rim and a good tire.... is WELL WORTH the ruffer ride.LOL

i thought about geting 16s.... BUT im gonna go back to 17s when ever i get enough cash saved up for my new rims and tires!

Old 04-04-2007, 09:09 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: civicexracer

ORIGINAL: ej6buddy

i said wider wheels because u can stick a wider tire on there for better handling. a wider tire wont affect ride quality all that much if at all any..
wider makes a rougher ride, i've noticed on some cars after they change the rim width but not the diameter. plus my family have been in the tire business for decades and they've also told me that wider is rougher.

Quick Reply: Running on stilts