Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Several Suspension Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 05:38 PM
HCF Member
Default Several Suspension Questions

SO all Civic's with coilovers or springs and struts all have parts I would love to know what they do and there point please.

First LCA or Lower Control Arms, I think what are purpose of aftermarket ones.

Seconds what do Camber Kits do and where all do they go?

And finally Struts for your engine and rear?

Thanks!

Old 08-12-2010, 06:16 PM
HCF Member

LCA's = Bling Factor

Camber Kits = Make your tires more straight up and down than leaning one way or the other

Struts = Put it this way if you didnt have struts and u just had springs, your car would bounce up and down for quite some time after going over a bump. A strut simply stops this, you can get softer or stiffer struts.

Old 08-12-2010, 06:18 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by Engelhonda37
LCA's = Bling Factor

Camber Kits = Make your tires more straight up and down than leaning one way or the other

Struts = Put it this way if you didnt have struts and u just had springs, your car would bounce up and down for quite some time after going over a bump. A strut simply stops this, you can get softer or stiffer struts.
So in other words you don't even need these parts unless you lowered your car with coilovers or springs and struts correct?

Old 08-12-2010, 06:21 PM
HCF Member

LCA's i honestly wouldnt worry about.

Camber Kits i also really would worry about lol, alignments fix camber.

Old 08-12-2010, 06:35 PM
HCF Member

When you get a full coilover kit Struts are already included correct and ok what do strut bars in your engine bay and trunk do?

Old 08-12-2010, 06:42 PM
HCF Member

strut tower bars reduce body roll

Old 08-12-2010, 06:42 PM
HCF Member

Also on your project thread you have that you want these 3 parts and what are they and what do they do: Rear Tie Bar Brace
Rear Stabilizer Bar
Rear Strut Tower Bar

Old 08-12-2010, 06:52 PM
HCF Member

a full coilover kit will have the springs and shocks all in one.

strut bars tie the strut towers together so that there is less flex in the chassis and less body roll. a 3 or 4 point strut bar is much more effective than 2 point bars.

and for the camber kits, on your civic they replace the upper control arms and allow for adjustment in the camber. The factory arms have no camber adjustment, only toe. Its kinda of a toss up if they are really necessary. It mostly important that the toe is correct and there is plenty of adjustment for that via the tie rods. i say that if you have the extra money go ahead and get them, if you are scrapping for many just to pay for the springs, then leave em out and maybe get them later. Either way you go make sure to get an alignment asap.

lower control arms are only useful if you are putting in a sway bar.

Old 08-12-2010, 06:57 PM
HCF Member

Ya thank you both for the info I am much more well informed. Im selling this bad boy next spring and the winter's in erie are harsh so no Coilover kit before she is gone and I wouldn't worry about all those other parts without actually lowering the car, but again thanks.

Old 08-12-2010, 08:17 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by Sigracer10
lower control arms are only useful if you are putting in a sway bar.
Not necessarily, the stock LCA's have holes in them where the brackets go through, i didnt have to get aftermarket LCA's to put in my rear sway bar.

Quick Reply: Several Suspension Questions