Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

slight vibration in steering wheel during braking

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 01:00 PM
HCF Member
Default slight vibration in steering wheel during braking

So here is the background regarding the problem I'm having. When I used to brake while over 40mph I used to
get quite a noticeable vibration in the steering wheel. I took it to a mechanic and he said it was most likely due to
warped rotors. I had told him that I recently ran over a center divider going roughly 45-50 mph essentially straight on.
The divider sticks out into the lane and the lane curves in towards it so it was essentially like I was trying to go over a curb
dead on.

Anyways, he didn't have time to fix it soon enough so I ended up replace the rotors and pads since I already had a replacement
set from before.

Now, the vibration is slim to none. When I brake with moderate to hard pressure, I don't feel any vibrations. However, when I brake
with light to moderate pressure, I can still sense some vibration in the steering wheel (only over 50mph or so). Note that
the vibration has diminished quite drastically from before.

What I fear is that some suspension parts are loose now. Braking lightly will move these parts enough to go back and force since braking forcing isn't perfectly uniform and hence i'm feeling it in the steering. I measured the runout of the rotor and it seems well within the spec so I'm at a loss now.

What do you guys think? Would loose bushings cause looseness in the suspension parts?

Old 06-13-2007, 01:21 PM
Default RE: slight vibration in steering wheel during braking

check for bent/loose suspension parts. did u get an alignment after u hit the divider? that def. would have knocked it out from how u described. ur caster could be messed up if u damaged any bushings which could be causing the vibrations.

Old 06-13-2007, 02:55 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: civicexracer

check for bent/loose suspension parts. did u get an alignment after u hit the divider? that def. would have knocked it out from how u described. ur caster could be messed up if u damaged any bushings which could be causing the vibrations.
civicexracer,

yes, you are right. I did get an alignment soon after this but they were not able to get the caster within proper specs on the front left wheel. It's only off by 0.1 degrees but it's positive now instead of negative (or is it the other way around).

So you think it's most likely a bushing and not a suspension part like the control arm, etc. that's bent a bit?

I might just have a mechanic just replace all the bushings on the front end of my car then.

Old 06-13-2007, 04:09 PM

it could easily be bad bushings or bent arm, both can throw off caster. replacing either will fix it, but u or ur mechanic will have to figure out which it is. figure out which it is and just replace w/e it is on the left side. u'll also need ur front end re-aligned after because u'll end up taking off the control arm.