Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Slotted rotor suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by sentis77
so... since i don't know much about the mechnical side of the car, blank rotors are fine for street use in general. my car has about 45k on it and sometimes i'm feeling the brakes pulsing. slotted/drilled rotors are for looks basically? i don't want to spend $180/pair on rotors if i don't need to. should i look into higher quality pads and not worry about rotors so much?
my expertise/knowledge is in the audio/wiring side of things. not totally ignorant when comes to mechanical, just needing some help.
thanks
yes blank rotors are fine for street use. like reaper said, they are pulsing because they have warped a little. depending on how worn the rotors are and how warped they are, it'll be hard to say if they can be saved by re-surfacing them. It'd be cheaper just to buy some blanks from the local auto store.

Old 10-01-2009, 05:48 PM
HCF Member

autozone has lifetime warranty on their pads/rotors

Old 10-01-2009, 06:49 PM
June 2010 ROTM

Originally Posted by civicexracer
I've ran Hawk HPS pads on OEM blanks and then I switch to the the PowerSlot slotted rotors and it made a difference.
You're comparing apples to oranges here. Come on now...

When I say blanks for the purpose of performance, I am always referring to rotors made by a performance company. NOT OEM blanks.

Almost any 'performance' rotor will be an improvement over STOCK blanks simply because stock blanks aren't for performance. DOES THIS REALLY HAVE TO BE SAID!?!?

Now, compare Brembo blanks to Brembo slotted rotors. Once you do you'll agree that performance blanks are superior to performance slotted, drilled, or slotted/drilled.

[/thread]
I'll start punching the dead horse... ...I mean it!

Old 10-02-2009, 08:44 AM
HCF Member

The pulsing you feel from you brakes is a warped rotor, have your brakes inspected. My Baer slotted/drilled rotors only ran me $75 from AutoZone, that was only around $25 more than blanks. And a blank rotor is a blank rotor I dont care if Honda makes it, if brembo makes it or if someone in China makes it.

Old 10-02-2009, 12:36 PM
Super Cereal Admin

Originally Posted by intenseneal
And a blank rotor is a blank rotor I dont care if Honda makes it, if brembo makes it or if someone in China makes it.
You're absolutely right. Also, a turbo is a turbo, a wastegate is a wastegate, a spring is a spring, and a piggyback ecm is a piggyback ecm, regardless of the manufacturer. Oh, wait. Nevermind.

1) R&D
2) Materials
3) Construction

All rotors are not created equal.

Old 10-02-2009, 06:57 PM
June 2010 ROTM

Originally Posted by intenseneal
And a blank rotor is a blank rotor I dont care if Honda makes it, if brembo makes it or if someone in China makes it.
Wow, you lost any ounce of credibility as far as I'm concerned. First you throw out that you are an 'all knowing' certified mechanic and put out of date information, then this!? Please...

Originally Posted by reaper2022
1) R&D
2) Materials
3) Construction

All rotors are not created equal.
Thank you Reaper! You are keeping me sane!!!

Old 10-02-2009, 08:39 PM
HCF Member
Default another vote for PowerSlots

I've been running Powerslot rotors for a while, no problems and decent price.
Excellent choice - cadmium plated (not zinc washed) and high quality steel makes these very long-lasting.

Old 10-02-2009, 08:43 PM
HCF Member

yes blank rotors are fine for street use. like reaper said, they are pulsing because they have warped a little. depending on how worn the rotors are and how warped they are, it'll be hard to say if they can be saved by re-surfacing them. It'd be cheaper just to buy some blanks from the local auto store.
Pulsating brakes don't always indicate that the rotors are warped. There are some brake pads that will leave deposits of material on the rotor, causing the pulsating pedal. It is for this reason that I like slotted rotors. The Viper ACR (track) and the Cadillac CTS-V come from the factory with slotted rotors - no holes and no blanks.

Old 10-02-2009, 09:58 PM

so would there be any good reason to upgrade to slotted/drilled rotors? i know the visual appeal is nice. but if they hold some real advantages, i would drop the cash if i'd notice it. i appreciate your help!

Old 10-02-2009, 10:03 PM

secondly, i'm not sure if this a new honda thing, or honda in general, but when i hit the brakes kinda hard and they skid for a sec (like over gravel), i can hear the abs kick in and it sounds almost like a low grinding sound; pedal stiffens up too. is that really how the abs feels in this car? it's eary almost when it happens.

Quick Reply: Slotted rotor suggestions