Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Steering Help!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 06:25 PM
Default Steering Help!!!!!

K first Ill start off by sayingmy car was in a bit of a accident. I got hit on the right side fender and bumper... Tire might have possibly been hit as well. Since then Just got my ride back new fender bumper repainted and new headlights Ill post pics in another thread once i get some.

Ok now my problem is my steering is a bit ruff. It gets extremly hard to turn when im going at med to high speed but once i slow down i can turn. If the car is on and not moving I can turn the wheel perfectly back and forth. This kind of scares im afraid i might have to switch lanes quick on the highway and not be able too. My mechanic originaly thought it was the power steering pump. He was going to swap it out but once he removed it he said he checked it and it seemed in working condition no leeaks or anything... he just placed a new belt and fluid while he was at it.

He said it might be the Steering Rack since its the only other thing it could be and it might have got a bit dammaged in the fender bender,it runs about 300 bucks.

What do you guys think is it the power steering or the steering rack ? Please help dont want to waste money on random crap .

P.s Didnt know where else to post this

Old 09-08-2007, 06:45 PM
Default RE: Steering Help!!!!!

if the wheel got pressed in enough from the accident, its possible that it could have bent the tie rod. if the tie rods not bent, the steering rack could still have been damaged from the energy of the impact on the wheel.