Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Strut Problem w/ 01 Civic

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2005, 09:34 AM
Default Strut Problem w/ 01 Civic

i hope your cars have avoided this problem....

I own a 01 (4dr) Civic w/ 50k miles on it.
While driving over any road bump (small or large), I feel a serious vibration both as a driver and passenger.
I have taken it to a mechanic and he says to replace the front struts (everything except the springs). unfortunately, thats $500-600 including labor.
could it be possible that I only need to replace the shocks/strut piece, and not all of the other parts that make up the entire strut (like the mount, insert, bearing)? that would that lower the cost significantly, correct?

also, there hasnt been any evidence of leaking struts either.

thanks in advance!

Old 05-24-2005, 04:11 PM
Default RE: Strut Problem w/ 01 Civic

wouldnt your strut be bent if its the strut that causing all the vibration. Someone tell me if im wrong. Sound like something my car is going through right now. I have to replace my shock and spring. It get really bouncy sometimes and its annoying the hell out of me. I am waiting to save up some dough and by coilover.

Old 05-25-2005, 10:16 AM

The mechanic says the strut is weak. And yeah, my car is also really bouncy whenever going over bumps--it really bites, especially here in the northeast, where the roads are absolutely crap w/ potholes and construction---. Also, why do you have to replace the shock and spring? Wouldnt installing the new shock solve the problem?

Old 05-25-2005, 02:06 PM

Sounds like your mechanic might be one of those type that just clean up your old parts, spray some fresh paint on em, and charge you for the new parts. I'd get a second opinion on somethin like that.
I once had a vibration problem with a car, took it to a mechanic, and he told me I needed new ball joints. After I told him I had gotten the ball joints replaced 4 weeks prior, he said "let me check them again", to which I replied, "no thanks". It ended up, all I needed was to get my front wheels rebalanced cause some kids stole my weights off the rims.

Old 05-25-2005, 02:47 PM

I am actually taking the car next week to another mechanic to get another opinion---hopefully with some better news as far as the cost goes, but we'll see.... I'll post an update when I hear back.

The first mechanic though has been pretty good to me and other friends so far. He's honest and has done good work before.

That some crappy news about your rims...did you ever find out which messed your rims?

Old 05-29-2005, 10:51 PM

I'm sure my shocks and springs are shot on the front right side. Might as well do it right and change everything so none of that bouncing comes back. Spend the money and do it right the first time rather than spend more extra money the 2nd, 3rd etec if you didnt half a$$ it.