Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Summer Tires and Ice/Snow

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 11:22 PM
Default Summer Tires and Ice/Snow

I'm thinking about getting summer tires after it quits snowing here. Right now I have some pretty worn all-weather tires that were on the car when I bought it. I live in Tennessee so it's not like I have to drive in ice/snow all the time or anything. My question is what should I do for the month or two when it snows? I had to drive home from work today and the roads were pretty slick and... that wasn't too fun. I have about a 30 minute drive and I live on a back road... I was driving 20 or under the whole way once I got to my road.

First of all, from what I've read, summer tires drive better in rain than all-weather tires correct? I definatly need something that does well in the rain.

Second, can summer tires drive at all in ice/snow and if so will it be better or worse than worn all-weather tires?

Third, how hard is it to change out tires? Can I just buy some new all-weather tires for the winter, keep the summer tires, then switch them back out after?

Old 02-19-2007, 07:58 PM
mxs
HCF Member
Default RE: Summer Tires and Ice/Snow

it's been snowing bad here for a week and I've seen people driving on the WORST tires. People who can't get any traction at all. Drives me crazy.

ORIGINAL: weirddan455

from what I've read, summer tires drive better in rain than all-weather tires correct?
really depends on the tire.

Second, can summer tires drive at all in ice/snow and if so will it be better or worse than worn all-weather tires?
see above.

Third, how hard is it to change out tires? Can I just buy some new all-weather tires for the winter, keep the summer tires, then switch them back out after?
your best bet will be to pick up a cheap set of beat-up alloys or steelies for your winter tires, and switch them out yourself when necessary. You COULD just get them re-mounted on the same wheels, but by the time you pay to have them mounted twice you could have bought 4 brand new steelies... so having 2 sets of wheels is more cost-effective.

Old 02-20-2007, 12:55 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Summer Tires and Ice/Snow

i keep my rims on during the summer and have a set of winter steelies for when it snow. They have winter tires on them, then my rims have summer tires on them. Thats what i would do if i was you (and who cares about looks in the winter? its not car season anyway)