Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Suspension for 1998 Civic Hatchback?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2004, 12:05 PM
Default Suspension for 1998 Civic Hatchback?

Hello to everyone in this forum. As you can see i'm a new user and I got my first car last september. A 1998 S-reg 1998 3-door 1.4i Honda civic hatchback, which I love to bits. BTW i'm from the UK

Its had a few nick and scuffs but its still looking good standard. I've been thinking about upgrading it and have come to this forum just for that. I've been looking at these springs made by Tenzo-R and just want to see what you guys think about it. i.e brand, quality, reliability

http://www.funkyproduct.co.uk/item.p...tTypeNumber=75

I emailed the support on these and they said that it only adjustable springs and it uses the standard shock on my car. I was wondering how low I could lower on the standard shocks?

Support said that if I used standard shocks I will get a stiff ride. How stiff is it? How does it feel driving on standard shocks and lowered springs?

If these are rubbish, can you guys give me some links as to where I can source different suspension parts for honda civics as thats the only website I've found so far. Its soo hard finding stuff for my car!!!!!!

I cannot find any inductions kits also for my 1.4i civic...can you guys help?

Old 07-14-2004, 12:36 PM
NTX
HCF Member
Default RE: Suspension for 1998 Civic Hatchback?

Welcome....

ORIGINAL: Tornado_sp1

I emailed the support on these and they said that it only adjustable springs and it uses the standard shock on my car. I was wondering how low I could lower on the standard shocks?
You can lower your car and retain the standard shocks (i did it), but it's recomened that you change them too. If the drop is not extreem, the stocks will be cool.

I use Ground Control Adjustables on my 98 (i'm not sure the UK model is the same but i would thin it is). Maybe you could get in touch with them.

Old 07-15-2004, 11:42 AM

hi thanks for the reply!!

I intend to maybe lower the car about 40mm (would you say this is too much for the standard shocks?) and get some 16inch alloys. I don't know if this will look good. Whatcha think?

Cant afford coilovers so springs has to be it. How does lowering the car change the driving experience? Right now, if I go round corners quite fast i.e 25 - 30mph, the car feels like its gonna flip over, LOL! Will a lowered car feel better to drive? I guess the downside is that its much stiffer and so road speed bumps will be a pain.

Old 07-15-2004, 12:05 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Tornado_sp1I intend to maybe lower the car about 40mm (would you say this is too much for the standard shocks?) and get some 16inch alloys. I don't know if this will look good. Whatcha think?
Whats the conversion to inches? If its more than about 2" then your stock shocks will wear out pretty quickly. It will look sweet as hell with the 16's and a nice drop.
Cant afford coilovers so springs has to be it. How does lowering the car change the driving experience? Right now, if I go round corners quite fast i.e 25 - 30mph, the car feels like its gonna flip over, LOL! Will a lowered car feel better to drive? I guess the downside is that its much stiffer and so road speed bumps will be a pain.
Im just running springs... no coilovers, lowered suspension will tighten everything up and get rid of the roll (the car feels like its gonna flip over). It will be alot funner to drive and is well worth it. If you want to stiffen it up even more get a strut tower brace and some sway bars[sm=smiley2.gif]
I cannot find any inductions kits also for my 1.4i civic...can you guys help?
FI on a 1.4... you might be better off with an engine swap to a bigger engine rather than trying to boost a 1.4L. Its definately do-able, but you wont get much out of it safely.

Old 07-15-2004, 02:01 PM

40mm is a notch over 1.5 inches. So i'm thinking the standard shocks will handle it As far as the induction kits goes, I might keep the engine standard then. I h8 it when people seem to be able to accelerate soo fast and leave me at the traffic lights, lol.

Can you clarify something for me.

Coilovers are adjustable springs only and doesn't come with shocks.

Springs are no-adjustable springs

and dampers have to be bought separately.

Thanks again guys.. BTW, how much I'm I looking at to install the springs/coilovers? Ball park figure?

Old 07-15-2004, 02:06 PM
NTX
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Tornado_sp1

Can you clarify something for me.

Coilovers are adjustable springs only and doesn't come with shocks.

Springs are no-adjustable springs

and dampers have to be bought separately.
Thats it.

The install should be somewhere around $100 to $150 US.

Old 07-18-2004, 05:18 AM

Thanks for the great replies!!!

I think I might save up a bit of money and go for an eibach spring kit. Coz I read that they are good quality springs.

Thanks again

Old 07-19-2004, 03:05 PM
HCF Member

the eibach springs are a good choice. hey, post some pictures of your car, i would like to see the difference between the US civics and the UK civics. try to get some of the engine and suspension if you can.

Old 07-20-2004, 05:34 PM

Hi,

Ok, I'll try and get some pics using my phone camera (which is all I have), everything is standard at the moment. Do you think its worth the hassle and money spending money upgrading a 1998 Honda civbic hatchback which has almost driven 60,000 miles on the clock?

Coz, I keep thinking about all the money that i'll have to spend doing it up, but in the end, its still an old car. The ideal situation is to buy a brand new car from the showroom and spend cash on upgrading it but who has that amount of money? lol.

Old 07-20-2004, 10:10 PM

i just went to a auto accesorie store in my area and went for a cheap drop...got a set of dropzone coilovers. they cost 100 bucks for the set and i installed them myself in a couple hrs. prety easy after i figured everything out. i used my stock shocks and it worked just fine... i have it droped as far as they go down and its probably close to a 3 or 4 inch drop. rides a little bumpy but ive heard that coilovers do that so... the cheap route worked for me. i am soon going to get the dropzone shocks and put those in... as far as performance suspension... never ridin in a car with it so dont know how it feels but i like the look of my drop and the ride is ok "got used to the bouncyness"...one thing is i lifted it about 2 inches in the back one weekend and it screwd the sleve by crushing the threds so now i will buy the new shocks and get a new sleve and drop it all the way again.

[IMG]local://upfiles/406/6A92693976404FA7B269FC6498AD416B.jpg[/IMG]