Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

suspension making lots of noise when going over bumps, etc.

Old 11-16-2007, 02:05 PM
HCF Member
Default suspension making lots of noise when going over bumps, etc.

I'm assuming it's my two front springs cuz the guy I bought the car from told me a mechanic toldhim his right spring needed to be replaced. But I actually hear more noise coming from the driver's side. He gave me a set of four adjustable springs, but I wanted to get new shocks along with them before I install anything. What could potentially happen if I hit a pot hole or something and the spring(s)/shock(s) just couldn't take it anymore? What will probably happen? I'm not waiting for something bad to happen. I just don't have the $$$ the pay for new shocks yet, especially since I want to get good ones. Thanks.

Old 11-16-2007, 02:09 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: suspension making lots of noise when going over bumps, etc.

check the balljoints.... if it pops up on bumps i believe thats upper, or turning it would be lower... or vis versa...... find a local shop that will give ya a free estimate..... and have them tell ya which one is bad....

Old 11-17-2007, 09:17 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: suspension making lots of noise when going over bumps, etc.

Is it a noise you hear as the suspension travels? Or a noise you hear when driving/turning? I've never known a spring to go bad...other than maybe they start to sag over the years. I'd lean more towards it being a strut gone bad. What you would notice is that the ride is bouncy because there would be less/no dampening. That's my guess anyway.