Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

sways side to side

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 02:32 AM
Default sways side to side

Hi all,

When I'm driving on the highway at speeds more than 65, I feel the car swaying side to side. I did the alignment on the car, and the tires are brand new but the problem persists. Someone told me it might be the tie rods but I would like a second opinion. Please help.

Old 10-10-2006, 12:22 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: sways side to side

what type of car/ model /make/ and year?

Could be a bushing on the rear trailing arm...they tear or bust and you get a wiggly feeling, but generally when cornering. Did you look underneath at tall the connection points? See any "oily" stains on your shocks /struts?? Does the car bounce excessivly?

Old 10-10-2006, 06:08 PM

Its a 1997 Civic HX. There is no oil on the shocks at all. I don't think my shocks have failed. The car isn't bouncy. It seems that I have to constantly adjust my steering in order to keep the car in a straight path. When cornering, the car does great and I barely feel any roll. I believe its a bushing problem of some front suspension but I cant pinpoint what. Thanks for the quick response.

Old 10-11-2006, 01:37 AM

Thesan I have the EXACT same problem but I don't know what it is too. I got brand new bushings about 1.5 years ago how often do they go bad? I have a 97 EX Civic Coupe, however, I have not had my cars alignment done since I got the new suspension. It also only happends at the higher speeds like 65-80. It's really scarey when it happends on the freeway for no apparent reason.

Old 10-11-2006, 05:32 AM

there could b a couple reasons y...by any chance when u got it allign...did dey happen to tell u if the back wheel is crooked becuz dat cud b one reason y ..dis happened to my friends eg...it was swayin side to side went to like 4 align places and 1 finally told us the back wheels were curved inwards..but we couldn't see it at all...the machine had to tell us

Old 10-11-2006, 09:50 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: thanesan

Its a 1997 Civic HX. There is no oil on the shocks at all. I don't think my shocks have failed. The car isn't bouncy. It seems that I have to constantly adjust my steering in order to keep the car in a straight path. When cornering, the car does great and I barely feel any roll. I believe its a bushing problem of some front suspension but I cant pinpoint what. Thanks for the quick response.
2nd step..little more involved.
Jack up the front of the car and support it on jack stands (research the proper way to do this. BE SAFE)
With the steering wheel locked grab a front tire and try to turn it back and forth. There should be minimal movement. If you feel it working back and forth start to look at tie rods. Let me see if I can find a suspension diagram.
Try to shake the wheel top and bottom....ball joints/strut.

Old 10-11-2006, 10:15 AM
HCF Member

Didn't even have to type it out...Service manual shots.....
Start checking those connection points.

[IMG]local://upfiles/3798/B2EDA3F68B5E4150994AF2EF9A1DEE10.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/3798/66C4C7B25F8A4FBFBFD4697AFA05B1B6.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-11-2006, 10:22 AM
mxs
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: phishy

I have the EXACT same problem . . . but I have not had my cars alignment done since I got the new suspension.
you should probably take care of that . . .

Old 10-11-2006, 10:57 AM
HCF Member

I had that same problem when i got my rims put on at a bs shop. the over inflated the tires and didn't ballance the rims well. I find my self racing some body the next day and as soon as i hit about 60 the car is moving from side to side but i am holding the stearing straitght. after i got the tires blanced correctly. the car drove well. i would check my tirerods if i was you. i busted the boots on the lower ones and had to replace them. i hope that helps.

Old 10-11-2006, 02:59 PM
HCF Member

lol seems to be a connection here wit 97's i got a 97 dx sedan and it sways back and forth on the highway as well. However its not because of any suspension problems, its just a light car with thin wheels. Just check the PSI to make sure there arnt real problems. Im jus saying this if u got minor swaying, becuase i noticed if there are winds @ 5mph or more it sways more than usual so i wouldnt worry bout it. But if its like violent swaying disregard everything i jus said nd get ur shiizat checked out !! lol