Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

funny noises coming from driver side passenger side wheel.

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 10:53 PM
Default funny noises coming from driver side passenger side wheel.

Hello new here and may i say its great to be the new owner of an 06 honda civic SE. I just bought it today even!! And already ive ran into a problem.. DAMN! So when im driving down the road it sounds like a train!! The same similar sound you hear when you you rub two pieces of metal together.. And then im also getting some creaking and squeaking with a little bit of popping around my suspension.

Old 03-02-2011, 07:58 PM

For the noise when you're driving, I'd check to make sure one of your splash guards or wheel wells isn't rubbing against the tire. It could also be the dust shield for your brakes rubbing against one of the rotors.

For the suspension, try to pin point the noise. Get someone to push down on each corner while you listen. If you can't find it that way, jack the car up and start shaking suspension components to see if anything is loose. Also check the wheels to make sure a wheel bearing isn't bad or even if a wheel isn't secured properly.

Old 03-02-2011, 10:35 PM

Its turns out that its my disc rubbing against the dust shield. Thankyou!

Old 03-13-2011, 01:16 PM
HCF Member

Hey, so i have a 97 civic ex, all stock besides audio. I have a very similar problem, when i make hard lefts or brake hard or hit speed bumps, there is a very loud scraping noise from the front passengers wheel, at first i was certain it was the wheel well interiors covering falling against the wheel (this has happened to me before) but upon inspection it was not the case. The dust guard and everything else seems in place, except that i can shake the wheel/disk brake when it is jacked up, it is not sturdy like the drivers side wheel. I can only think of it being the axles itself, the brakes/wheel bearing/tires are all fairly new, just wondering if anyone has any possible further insight?
i plan on starting my car as a project car soon, i was going to eventually get some 98 integra axles and new suspension, maybe i should just look into doing those first now?

edit: further testing proved my shocks are shot

Last edited by Turtlegrip; 03-13-2011 at 06:28 PM.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:22 AM

Sounds like it also could be a wheel bearing

Old 03-14-2011, 11:40 AM
HCF Member

well i just got both wheel bearings replaced less than 3 months ago, and it is only making the noises if i have a passenger, and if i have 1 person its when i turn, 2 people its when i brake, 3 people its constant.

Old 04-03-2011, 04:27 PM
HCF Member

My friend had this same problem with his 98 dx. As his british dad told me "your half axle is right ****ed." aka his cv joint on his passanger side axel was messed up pretty good. He described the same thing though a loud noise when turning, braking hard, or hitting large bumps.