Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

tein coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 09:52 AM
Default tein coilovers

well now that my gsr is sittin in the del sol the old worn out suspension is showing, tilting to the driver side at rest so the obvious first thing i need to do is suspension. I'm either going with the Tein Basic or Tein Super Street coilovers. My question is, is it worth it to spend the extra money for the SS? Also is it worth the money to get the pillowball mount as well? any help is appreciated.

Old 01-23-2008, 10:01 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: tein coilovers

I was gonna go with the Basics too, but i then discovered this, since they are basics, that's all they are just basics, spend the extra and get the SS, here's why...
in a double wishbone suspension like ours, there is two basic components. a spring and shock. The spring is on top of the shock and held on by a top hat.

When you purchase a lowering spring, the spring is usually significantly shorter than the original OEM one. This poses a problem. When you jack up your car when you are on lowering spring, the spring wobbles when the car is on jackstands. If your springs are short enough and where you hit a bump to allow the car to lift up high enough even without the wheels lifting off the ground, there is a possibility that the spring will not SEAT properly since it can potentially wobble out of it's position.

A true coilover eliminates this problem. It's solution is to have an adjustable perch for the spring seat to allow it to always touch the bottom of the top hat and never wobble. To adjust height, the SHOCK itself's body is threaded and adjustable. The coilover shock is actually short stroke and much shorter than stock shocks allowing the body of the short shock to be adjustable in height. This way your spring will not wobble and you can still adjust height.

Old 01-23-2008, 10:01 AM

that depends on how much better u want ur car to handle and if u think the adjustable shocks is in ur best interest. the basics are nice, handle great and make for a pretty smooth ride. the SS handle a little better due to higher spring rates and also offer adjustable shocks so u can make the ride a little better for cruising or fun. dont waste money on the pillow ball mounts.

Old 01-23-2008, 11:06 AM

Well Fiirkan... i don't quite see how your quote relates to the subject... it's mostly talking about why not to get just springs and how coilovers eliminates the problem of aftermarket lowering springs.

i think the SS are more up my ally, i'd still like to take it to a track one day and also love to go to some of the local autox's around here.

Old 01-23-2008, 11:15 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: RCJr9186

Well Fiirkan... i don't quite see how your quote relates to the subject... it's mostly talking about why not to get just springs and how coilovers eliminates the problem of aftermarket lowering springs.

i think the SS are more up my ally, i'd still like to take it to a track one day and also love to go to some of the local autox's around here.
the reason for the post. was tp state that the Tein Basic dampers are just a basic strut an spring, they technically are not full coil overs, they are basically the same thing as buying a strut and sleeve over.

Old 01-23-2008, 11:47 AM

ORIGINAL: Fiirkan

I was gonna go with the Basics too, but i then discovered this, since they are basics, that's all they are just basics, spend the extra and get the SS, here's why...
in a double wishbone suspension like ours, there is two basic components. a spring and shock. The spring is on top of the shock and held on by a top hat.

When you purchase a lowering spring, the spring is usually significantly shorter than the original OEM one. This poses a problem. When you jack up your car when you are on lowering spring, the spring wobbles when the car is on jackstands. If your springs are short enough and where you hit a bump to allow the car to lift up high enough even without the wheels lifting off the ground, there is a possibility that the spring will not SEAT properly since it can potentially wobble out of it's position.

A true coilover eliminates this problem. It's solution is to have an adjustable perch for the spring seat to allow it to always touch the bottom of the top hat and never wobble. To adjust height, the SHOCK itself's body is threaded and adjustable. The coilover shock is actually short stroke and much shorter than stock shocks allowing the body of the short shock to be adjustable in height. This way your spring will not wobble and you can still adjust height.
that MAY be true for some lowering springs BUT with sleeve coilovers, its not a problem. for a spring/strut type suspension, the end of the spring is cut so it will fit the perch in a certain way. the spring for coilovers has a flat bottom and a flat top, the perch ona sleeve type coilover is also flat. the spring can twist and turn all it wants when cornering but it will always seat itself without problem when coming down since its flat.

Name:  IMG_0001-1.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  53.9 KB

that picture of me lifting the rear wheel up, the spring isnt in contact with the tophat and is probably wiggling around on the perch, its no big deal.