Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

tein s-tech drop

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 07:21 PM
Default tein s-tech drop

Newbie hear, need some suggestions. I have a 7 gen civic and I want to give it a little drop, without going to full coilovers yet (don’t have the money for it ). So I was thinking of going for some tein s-tech spring, but was afraid that I didn’t know the consequences that this was going to take me to. Dose anyone know if iam going to be risking my factory shocks with this spring (like blowing one or all of them)? Is this a bad choice of a ride? And also do I need a camber kit for this drop? Well if anyone can help me or inform me it will be really nice. Thanks.

Old 03-03-2008, 07:42 PM
Snail'n Admin
Default RE: tein s-tech drop

Tein stechs are designed to work with the stock struts and are safe to use. For a 6th gen at least, you can roughly go to a 2 inch drop on stock struts before you encounter problems. However it is always a good idea to have aftermarket ones (ie koni, bilstein, tokico). Its a good choice, its what i have at the moment on my 6th gen ( have konis at home but havent put onyet). The ride is slightly more rough but still bearable. They say you dont need a camber kit for a 6th gen, but its visible i do. However, you didnt hear this from me, there is a washer trick you can do to put the camber in line more, but its probably a bad idea and i wouldnt do it.

Old 03-03-2008, 08:06 PM

Thank you Greddy civic, I heard something similar about a performance shop that I walked in to. They told me that a 1.5” drop was fine, but since iam a newbie I didn’t know what to believe. Do you think that since it’s a base drop on all 4 wheels (not like coilover which can vary in height) a good alignment will save me from a camber kit?

Old 03-04-2008, 08:18 AM
HCF Member

i have S-Techs, got an alignment, and have been perfect ever since. My back wheels are like even with my fenders, so theres absolutely no wheel gap in the back, and in the front when i sit in it theres no wheel gap up there either. No camber kit. I also have 205/40/17"s in the summer and usually don't rub either.

Old 03-04-2008, 10:14 AM

thanks flip!!.. that realy helped

Old 03-04-2008, 10:14 AM
Snail'n Admin

ORIGINAL: FlipHKD720

i have S-Techs, got an alignment, and have been perfect ever since. My back wheels are like even with my fenders, so theres absolutely no wheel gap in the back, and in the front when i sit in it theres no wheel gap up there either. No camber kit. I also have 205/40/17"s in the summer and usually don't rub either.
Camber cant be fixed on Hondas from the factory. Depends on how you do the install, and an alignment can fix toe and such which will help your tire wear, but there is definite camber. I will take pics when I go home this weekend from college, and I got an alignment too but since Camber cant be fixed from the factory, its noticible

Old 03-04-2008, 01:00 PM
March 2010 ROTM

You wont need a camber kit. I have mine dropped a little bit more than 2 inches right now and I didnt need one. S-Techs will still be a pretty smooth ride so dont worry about it.

Old 03-04-2008, 02:15 PM
Recognized HCF Member

in the rear you can at least use afew washers behind the upper arm to correct camber in the rear. depending on your wheels offset if you will run into rubbing problems. i had to roll my rear fenders so i could drive on correct camber.
its not really needed for the front but a good idea. on my 99civic my passenger side camber was off but my drivers side was OK. kinda odd....
but i got my stock suspension back on it now

and tho new struts are not NEEDED with the Stechs they are highly suggested to replace them all at once! because if your paying to have the springs replaced the cost of posibly having one of your stock struts go out and needed to be removed from the car AGAIN can be a hassle as well as cost more money from all that labor from a shop!
plus lets face it your stock shocks are probably pretty old so sure wouldnt hurt replacing them

Old 03-05-2008, 10:57 AM

well thanks for the help everyone. i guess ill go with the s-tech them. does anyone know how low i can go on my factory shocks before i star risking a blow out???

Old 03-05-2008, 11:35 AM
HCF Member

S-Techs are designed for factory struts. I'm running them on original 99 shocks and they are doing fine so far.

Quick Reply: tein s-tech drop