Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Tein S-tech question (updated w/ pics)

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 06:41 PM
Default Tein S-tech question (updated w/ pics)

NOTE: Thread is somewhat old. All questions/concerns have been answered. If you're just interested in the results, please scroll down :P
Hey, hows everybody doing?
I have read many threads about the S-techs and I am positive they are right for me.
After calling everywhere in houston I found a place that will do the install for just $80 bucks (with others ranging from 100-350, with about a 250 avg!)
Nobody I could find in Houston had the ones for 96-00 civic in stock, and for them to order them it would be about 170 and a 3 day wait.

So I decided to check eBay.
I am no noob to eBay, and am aware of some Tein counterfeiting and honestly I can't tell what to do in this situation. There is only one pic and the only counterfeit characteristic I am able to check is the coloring/thickness of "Stylish Spec" which seems like the real ones in his pic, but that could easily be photoshopped.

(please be nice to me and don't buy them yourself :P)
listing:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=130153180726

tein counterfeit page for those that haven't seen:
http://www.tein.com/counterfeit/warning.html

He seems like an okay user with 68 transactions and 100% fb. However none of the transactions were for the springs, they were all for a different item. Also, his springs are about 30 bucks cheaper than the other eBay'ers that have absolutely money back guarantee authenticity.
I sent him a mail asking for a guarantee or more pics. Haven't heard back, and honestly I can't wait.

One more thing to consider is if paypal/eBay cover items that aren't as described.
In the listing he does claim they are "Genuine Tein S-Tech Lowering Springs"
In that sentence there are no typos and he is using the Tein brand name.

Thanks alot and sorry for the long winded post despite the simple situation.
You guys are the best.

Old 09-17-2007, 06:49 PM
Default RE: Tein S-tech question

im doin aight, how bout u?

$80 for installation all around?? thats veeerrrryyyy cheap, so cheap its iffy..to have just the front or just the rear installed, its normally ~$200. for the whole set, i'd figure ~$300. if u do have them intall it, take a very close look at ur suspension after installation to make sure its done right.

the ebay listing looks legit and the seller seems to cover everything. if i were u, i'd email the seller and ask him every kind of question u can think of. from the item itself to shipping process. i always do, just so i kno the seller knows what their talking about and doing.

good luck with everything!

Old 09-17-2007, 06:56 PM

I'm doing alright man, tired as always.
That is a great idea to ask if it's for all 4. I can see myself going there and them saying it's $80 per spring.
I also need to remember to get a tire alignment, which I am in dire need of even now (I do about a 15-20 degree right turn when I let go of the wheel)

I appreciate your insight.

Old 09-25-2007, 09:29 AM

Got the springs for $142 shipped from eBay seller "importstoreplus".
They were authentic as expected.

I called back the auto shop to confirm the installation price was for all 4 springs. It was, and the install costed me just $85.00 flat.

I'm lovin it so far and have only had minimal scraping (which was just the mud flaps)
Here's the before/after pics. They are from slightly different angles, and these springs still need to settle in.

BEFORE

AFTER

More pics

REAR

[/align]

my cars ongoing thread:
https://www.hondacivicforum.com/m_379779/tm.htm

Old 09-25-2007, 08:26 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Tein S-tech question (updated w/ pics)

I just called the local alignment shop about the cost for installation of a set of Eibachs and an alignment. They quoted me $350. It's hard for me to believe anyone could do that install for $80. Heck, most shops charge $80 an hour. I guess if you are really good at it......

The owner of the shop did say that installing any springs that would lower the car more than 1.5 inches means that an alignment kit would be necessary, so be forwarned.

Old 09-26-2007, 07:31 AM
HCF Member

Nice man, looks good. Ya you got a really good deal on install, it is usually about $50 a spring.

Old 09-26-2007, 07:59 AM

ORIGINAL: conceptualpolymer

The owner of the shop did say that installing any springs that would lower the car more than 1.5 inches means that an alignment kit would be necessary, so be forwarned.
alignments needs to be done pretty much anytime the suspension is messed with. IE: replacing struts/springs, moving the LCA's around, playing with UCA's, etc..

Old 09-26-2007, 11:03 AM

I just called the local alignment shop about the cost for installation of a set of Eibachs and an alignment. They quoted me $350. It's hard for me to believe anyone could do that install for $80.
It was hard for me to believe too. I called them a total of 4 times before I actually went in to get it done.
I even told them to price was low, and that other places were charging double to triple more.
They responded saying that those are overpriced and it's not that hard of a job.

Heck, most shops charge $80 an hour. I guess if you are really good at it......
Well, it took them just about 1hr to 1.5hrs

Yeah, I do need an alignment. Basically an alignment will prevent your car from drifting to the right or left when you let go of the wheel.
Mine has been doing about a 15 degree drift to the right even before I got the springs installed, and I can't tell if its any worse since I got it done.

ORIGINAL:mill$civic
Nice man, looks good. Ya you got a really good deal on install, it is usually about $50 a spring.
Thanks! You were part of the reason I got them in the first place man. That Tein S-tech thread compilation was a big help on deciding.
Anyway, what I did was go to the Tein official website and called every number on the official dealers list in the houston area. For quotes I had a few $350's, a $250, a $120, two $100's, and of course the $80.

Ya just gotta shop around

Old 09-27-2007, 09:13 PM
HCF Member

i just got an alignment 2 times last month and my car still slightly goes to one side when i let go. I think it might be my strut bar...