Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

For those of you who stripped the LCA bolt/suspension job

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 12:27 PM
HCF Member
Default For those of you who stripped the LCA bolt/suspension job

For those of you who have stripped the infamous rear LCA bolt while attempting your suspension job, 2 questions?

1. Was it the one that the shock attaches to, or the one near the hub?

2. Before you stripped it, as you were trying to get it out, did you try placing a jack under the LCA to take some pressure/stress off that bushing and bolt?

If not, I saw a DIY that suggested this, and I was wondering if this would at least decrease the chances of this stripping, given that you are taking a lot of pressure off of that bolt and bushing while attempting to get it out...

Thanks

Old 04-26-2007, 12:42 PM
mxs
HCF Member
Default RE: For those of you who stripped the LCA bolt/suspension job

ORIGINAL: snosurfa7

1. Was it the one that the shock attaches to, or the one near the hub?
both.... on each side. 4 total

ORIGINAL: snosurfa7

2. Before you stripped it, as you were trying to get it out, did you try placing a jack under the LCA to take some pressure/stress off that bushing and bolt?
it didn't strip. that's not the problem. "stripped" implies that you got the bolt to turn....
the problem is the bolt seizes to the metal collar of the bushing in the control arm and will not move at all.

Old 04-26-2007, 12:56 PM
HCF Member

Thanks...so whether its stripped or seized, did you (or anyone else) still try to jack up the LCA to take the pressure off these bolts?

Old 04-26-2007, 01:24 PM
mxs
HCF Member

taking the load off isn't going to do anything when the whole unit is fused together with rust...

but jacking up the control arm does help when you're putting everything back together.

Old 04-26-2007, 02:50 PM
Recognized HCF Member

well since i just did mine.....

id sugest...... not taking out the bolt on the hub... just the strut...
i couldnt get one of my hub bolts... and didnt want to hammer on it anymore or crank up the pressure to my air gun... so i just left it alone hoping the penatration oil would free it up over time... so then i moved onto doing the washer trick.... and after removing those top two bolts on the suspension part i could just move the supension down just enough to pull the strut out that way
not sure what that part is actualy called....
upper arm or camber bar....lol not sure..
thought i got some pictures of the back instaled BUT i guess i didnt.woops...

but id say those are the easist to remove to remove the strut instead of removing the whole lower control arm like the manual says....

Old 04-26-2007, 03:03 PM

Nice sig mxs, lol.

Old 04-26-2007, 04:10 PM
Cat Fuсker

The problem isn't when they're rusted solid. THe problem is when the head of the bolt snaps off....

Old 04-26-2007, 04:19 PM
HCF Member

Good tip addiction2bass, I'm gonna try that then if it can be done that way....Thanks!

Old 04-26-2007, 04:56 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ya... rust is only 1/4 of the typical problem... seizing is the largest...
but with removing that upper camber arm loose from the car is just 2 small bolts.....

tho if one of those bolts snap no clue how to replace them... but mine came out with very little effort!

i didnt want to mess with that lower control arm/hub bolt.... cause at least with the control arm if it snaps you can just use a cut off wheel and cut the nut off the strut itself and just use a new bolt and nut rewelded to the strut itself.. BUT that hub bolt... well is VERY TIGHTLY packed behind some other bracing at least from my point of view of them!

tho i would say.. either way ya try it.... bust out the good penatrating oil and spray the crap outta them for a few days just to be safe...
and with reinstaling everything some antisieze is another good idea...

Old 04-26-2007, 04:56 PM
HCF Member

Yes i tried taking pressure off. In fact, I took the entire LCA out WITH THE BOLT STILL STUCK IN IT. It has nothing to do with pressure. The bolt is just literally corroded into the bushing where they are fused into ONE mass pretty much.

Quick Reply: For those of you who stripped the LCA bolt/suspension job