Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Upgrading suspension in a few days

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2006, 10:03 AM
HCF Member
Default Upgrading suspension in a few days

So here in the next few days I am going to be ordering Tokico Illuminas, Tein S-Techs, and a front and rear camber kit for my 98 ex coupe. I've never done any type of suspension upgrade, so is there anything else I am going to need, such as hardware? I don't know what factory parts I will be able to reuse and such. If someone could please fill me in on what to expect and be prepared for that would be great. Thanks a lot.

Old 12-25-2006, 10:15 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Upgrading suspension in a few days

if you're not mechanically inclined, i highly suggest you get some friends to help with the installation.

that said, i would also recommend that you go with a dedicated coilover set, which are easier to install.

ask peg leg about the tokico coilover setup he was looking at. they were fairly cheap, if I remember correctly.

and depending on how far you lower your car, you may not need camber kits.

if you're not going to lower more than 1.5 inches, forget the camber kits and use the extra money to get some better coilovers. (i'm biased, i always recommend ksports. lol)

if you want to really race or autocross, then paying for an excellent coilover setup now makes more sense than experimenting with an entrylevel setup and then whishing you had bought something better down the road.

Old 12-25-2006, 12:00 PM
HCF Member

Thanks for the response. I won't be racing or autoxing most likely so I'm not terribly worried about getting a nice set of coilovers. I don't have a ton of money as of now so the S-techs seem like a good route for me to go. And I'll probably hold off on getting a camber kit and just see how it works out. But what I really need to know is during installation, besides what I'm givin, (shocks, springs...etc.) is there anything I'm going to need to buy to be prepared forexample,broken factory parts, rusted bolts, anything such as that. I don't really know what types of problems could come about so I want to be prepared and not get completely stuck during installation.

Old 12-25-2006, 12:10 PM
HCF Member

Great man now you got me thinkin. 10 minutes ago I posted that I didn't want coilovers...but now I'm debating whether or not I should get a nice coilover setup. Look what you've done drbyers haha.

Old 12-25-2006, 12:19 PM
HCF Member

sorry to interrupt on ur thread, but i plan to drop my car 1.5 inch with the tokico hp kit, will i need a camber kit and alignment or should i forget the camber kit?

Old 12-25-2006, 12:26 PM
HCF Member

Since I'm here I'll go ahead and answer your question based on my limited knowledge. According to most people, with a drop that minimal you more than likely will not need the camber kit. And yes you will need an alignment after the installation.

Old 12-25-2006, 09:08 PM
HCF Member

hey devny,

go ahead and get the dedicated coilovers because you'll be kicking yourself a few months down the road if you don't. you should seriously consider getting some ksport pro kontrol coilovers too. 36-way adjustable and can lower your car up to 4 inches.

psychocivic recently got some for his civic for less than $600 shipped. they have excellent rebound dampening properties and they're a breeze to install. and the best part is that they have nearly OEM-compliant ride when their set at their softest setting.

i wrote some helpful advice on a previous thread about ksports on how to install them. they already have aftermarket top hats so the only thing you'll need to do is rip out your oem struts and stick in the ksports.

as for camber kits. you won't need them if you drop your car 1.5 inches or less. an alignment after install will quickly tell you if you need some.

Old 12-25-2006, 10:43 PM
HCF Member

Those seem like they would be pretty nice. I found a set on ebay for $600. I'm really considering getting them soon.

Old 12-25-2006, 10:58 PM
mxs
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: devney

If someone could please fill me in on what to expect and be prepared for that would be great. Thanks a lot.
I got different stuff, but you can read my install thread here: https://www.hondacivicforum.com/m_280737/tm.htm