Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

using a 90 Integra parts car for my EF hatch - help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2005, 01:35 PM
Default using a 90 Integra parts car for my EF hatch - help!

I just relocated to NY, and the first week I'm here a 90 Integra GS parts car comes up, hit hard in the ***, for 300 bucks. I jumped on it - it was running, with a blacktop ZC motor and all of the parts (I think, at least) that I need to upgrade my 91 hatch. My cousin and I took the hubs, brakes, and lower control arms off of it a few days ago and we're about to swap everyting over - it's kind of an emergency, because my lower ball joint on the passenger side has been bad for a while now, and I'm not looking to do a three-wheeled cartwheel into the trees at 80 anytime soon.

There are only two problems that I can see right off:

Will my stock Civic axles mate to these new hubs? I'm saddled with a D15/four speed combo right now, and since the motor swap is a ways away, I was hoping to wait until then to do anything with the axles. If the ones I have won't work, which stock axles (if any?) will mate up the tranny and hubs?

As mentioned, we didn't grab the upper control arms, though I think now we should have. Can I use the stock Civic upper arms and still have everything line up kosher?

The other question I had, though less of an emergency, is whether it would be worth my while to swap the springs/shocks from the teg over to the hatch. I'm supposing that they're stiffer than the stock civic springs (usually are when you add 500lbs to a chassis), but will they make the ride height retardedly high? I'm just looking for a budget upgrade until after the winter, so I can acquired the Ground Control coil-overs and KYB shocks that I want. Could cutting the springs slightly to return the ride height to stock be a viable solution? Usually, that's a bad thing to do to a car, but most cars don't have the generous suspension travel of the Honda line, which makes me think that it's a possibility.

If some kind soul could let me know about the hub/axle and upper control arm issues sometime this afternoon, I would be very grateful. BTW, the Integra is an automatic as well - I'm guessing, but not sure, that the stock teg axles wouldn't mate up to the Civic's four-speed.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out.

- M13