Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

vibration 60-75mph only when under power

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 10:51 AM
Default vibration 60-75mph only when under power

My 95 Civic has a vibration off the front wheels which only happens under power conditions. Smooth when on level road but vibrates as you touch throttle. I have swapped wheels, checked tie rods, replaced wheel bearings. also smooths out when cornering. can see no play in CV joints. Can it be a bent drive shaft?

Old 10-10-2007, 04:09 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: vibration 60-75mph only when under power

Have you been in any wrecks lately? Get any new tires recently?

Old 10-10-2007, 09:31 PM

Ryan thanks for the reply... Yes, wrecked front right wheel. I do not remember this vibration imiediately on return from repairs but has got steadily worse since then. about 3 years. I have stripped and replaced any items that looked at all su****ious on this wheel. Rim and tyre. Upper wishbone. upper and lower balljoints, main strut complete with wheel bearing and also inner CV. (could not get outer CV off shaft, but feels good). There is no vibration on braking, and it smooths out above 120km/hr (75mph) I have tried moving the anti vibration weight on the shaft from the middle to either end, with no change. It is difficult to identify which wheel the vibration originates from as it feels worse in the body than on the steering. The vehicle does not wander or pull to left or right under power, or braking, does not follow irregular road surfaces or cross winds. Runs like a dream untill you add power between 60 and 75mph... then this heavy vibration....

Old 01-01-2008, 07:40 AM

[align=left]Well some feedback..
I eventually found the fault..
Fiddled about for months balancing wheels, changing shocks, new tyres etc...
engine mounts ... ball joints.. and more...
It was the inner CV on the side that was not involved in the wreck!! and it felt perfect!
I eventually took it off and stripped it... boot looked good, no leaks... but somehow it had got a little water into the boot.. on only one "roller' still plenty of grease, but it had gone white where mixed with water... and it had worn a small indentation in the surface.. the others looked perfect. Causing the wear to be non symetrical.. So it seems that it went off-centre under load, but only when the roller sat in the worn spot.. going straight.. when cornering, the spot shifted and all was well.. when I jacked the car, it felt good... wasted a lot of time and money on this one.. but now it drives like new!

[/align]