Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Weird noise from front left

Old 08-30-2007, 04:20 PM
HCF Member
Default Weird noise from front left

I have a 99 civic ex sohc. I had 18's on it but recently took them off and i am runnin the factories right now. I have a set of goldline springs on it, that is the only thing i have done to it. The other day driving over a bump i heard what sounded like a loud BOING like a spring busting. I pulled the tires off an checked the springs and they all look fine. Would it have been the strut busting? I dont know,but how hard is it to replace a strut? The car has 107k on it and i want to redo the whole front anyway balljoint,tierods..etc. Just wondering how hard it would be to replace the struts and if a bad strut would make my car pull? Any info would greatly be of help

Thanks guys

Old 08-30-2007, 04:31 PM
Default RE: Weird noise from front left

it could have possibly been that the spring wasnt seated properly, shifted in the cup and thats what caused the sound. i doubt ur shock "exploded", tho check for leaking. since u already have springs on there, i would assume u kno how to change the shock since u have to take it off the car to replace the springs anyways..

Old 08-30-2007, 05:01 PM
June 2010 ROTM

Strut = Spring and Shock together
Shock = Shock
Spring = Spring

Just keep that in mind, for description purposes, I didn't know the difference until I looked it up. Like civicexracer said, the spring was probably not seated in the right spot and popped into the right spot. Check your shocks, because that happens more often when the shock goes bad.

Old 08-30-2007, 05:31 PM
HCF Member

I had a friend put them on so i dont know how it all dissasembles. He has moved away, but i do most of the work on my car myself. just wondering if i can just pop the shock out or if i had to take the spring and everything out with it as a whole unit. The springs look to be seated good. but like i say i need to redo the whole front anywho. Thanks for the quick response's

Old 08-30-2007, 07:09 PM

the shock and spring are held in together which means u'll need to take the assembly off the car to seperate them. its not difficult, just can be time consuming.

heres a DIY for the rear suspension. similar process for the front except u only need to remove the damper fork/LCA bolt and wiggle the suspension off the car.
https://www.hondacivicforum.com/m_225963/tm.htm

Old 09-03-2007, 12:22 PM
HCF Member

Do they sell just the shocks? The guy at autozone told me i had to buy the whole strut and swap my springs. Is there anywhere i can just buy the shocks. I also have a strut bar on the front, if it was adjusted wrong would that make my car pull either way?