Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

noise fron front left wheel

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2005, 05:44 PM
Default noise fron front left wheel

hi there

i get a rattle noise when turning right from the left front wheel and also when i do an emergeny stop and the abs kicks in i get a similar metalic rattle noise.

it sounds like a twang from a spring or rattle from the thin metal plate behind the disc brake. i took the wheel off and cant see anything loose or different to the other side of the car

any thoughts people

thanks in advance

Old 06-26-2005, 08:25 PM
Default RE: noise fron front left wheel

Don't know if this will help but I was having a rattle noise in my front end mostly when I hit bumps. I discovered it was the anti rattle pieces missing on the brakes. Try putting your brakes on when it rattles, and if it stops it's probably that. You can get the kit for can't remember what it's called, but for about 16.00 at Autozone

Old 06-27-2005, 03:46 PM

thanks for your reply, no effect im affraid when pressing brakes,

anyone else?

Old 07-10-2005, 07:10 PM

magnetic:

I, too have this problem. When I make a 70 degree or greater right turn, slow or fast, I get a metal-on-metal thud/twang with big time feedback through the steering wheel and suspension[:@]. I've had my local (trusted??) tuner shop look at it but I think they wanted to sell me new shocks more than find the problem. Needless to say, the Tokico's made a big diff in the ride, but they didn't solve the banging problem. Left turns do not have this problem at all, which tells me it might be something to do with a steering component that may have been stressed by lowering. Any info would be of great help! Thanks

BTW
My setup is:
'99 Civic Si EBP
83k miles
lowered 2"
camber kits all around
intake/catback/17"
And new Tokico blues
lowered for @ 65k miles- no probs till just now [&o]

Old 07-12-2005, 05:00 PM

not sure what kind of noise you are hearing...does it click or what...!? if it clicks then it is your cv joints...new axles man...if you have one bad axle...go ahead and change both...cause the other one will do the same later...but still not sure what kind of noise you hear...if it clicks like i said then go change your axles...

Old 07-15-2005, 08:47 PM

Well...This story has a happy ending!!

It turned out to be my replacement upper control arms binding inside the wheel well during a turn. The arms barely fit into the wheel well in compression while traveling in a straight line, but with the steering wheel cranked to the right and the suspension flexing just a little bit, the arm was binding on the inner structure and actually fighting against the steering mechanism. Rounding the outer corners of the A-arm with a die grinder solved the whole issue. Bravo to Jotech and Kenny Tran here in Garland, TX- he and his guys are on top of their game for sure. My ride is so quiet now, and the Tokico HPs are great!

The way Kenny found the problem was first he did some tight radius high speed auto-crossing (me in the passenger seat) to listen for the 'sound' and to determine that the problem wasn't a hub, rotor or tire (it wasn't). Next was a visual inspection on the lift and sure enough the corners of the A-arm were polished and the sound deadening material applied to the chassis was badly scraped where it'd been hitting.

All is well.

turtle