Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

a little problem with fron left lower arm (eg9(b16a2) help, please.?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 04:25 PM
Default a little problem with fron left lower arm (eg9(b16a2) help, please.?

Hi there,

this is my first post here (not counting the presentation, which is posted)

I have an issue regarding my civic eg9 vti engine b16a2 (5th gen)

my baby tend to steer left by himself... not dramatically, but it does. at the honda concessionary they performed a full whell/steering calibration and concluded that the

left front arm (part. no. 51360-sr3-020) is held on advance (dunno how to say it in english sorry) 0,05 degress, when it should be above 0,10 up to 0,21 factory settings,i think.

is it possible that because of this wrong short value the left front wheel is not calibrated and the car tendes on turning left by himself? i mean.. its just 0,05 degrees..

if so, is my only solution buying a new one? its quite an expensive part here in europe, something like 350 euros including mounting and recalibration, no prevision on delivery (old parts)

anyone experienced in this field?

thks in advance

ninogui

Old 11-22-2007, 04:42 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: a little problem with fron left lower arm (eg9(b16a2) help, please.?

so whats thrown off? camber, caster, or toe?
heres a picture of my alignment sheet.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...t/SCAN0004.jpg

for my front subframe is bent on the passenger side so i had to buy some adjustable upper arms so i could fix the CAMBER at laest... tho id have to spend even MORE money to buy some adjustable caster pieces BUT i dont think its that much outta spec so im not gonna worry about it...
this is a picture of my stock suspension, front bent and rear frozen. [:@]
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2.../SCAN00022.jpg

BUT if the car pulls to the left then it sounds like the front tierod is outta adjustment or the ball joint on the tie rod is worn... if you could get a picture of whats not right or what not.

Old 11-22-2007, 05:08 PM
Default RE: a little problem with fron left lower arm (eg9(b16a2) help, please.?

hi there

thks for the quick rep!

yes i would guess its the caster, a per definition caster or castor:

"
the slight usually backward tilt of the upper end of the kingbolt of an automobile for giving directional stability to the front wheels"

im not an expert in this area, but as said by the guy at honda conc the left front wheel is drawn back 0,05 degrees, cannot go higher (prob. previous owner crashed front left and just rough tunned it, not fixed it) when for 5th gen eg9 engine b16a2 should be 0,10 ' 0,210, from my findings. I dunno what should be your factory caster values, but they look quite off too?

im trying initially to find out if that would be suf to left steer the car.. i understand what u say, in fact thats what im trying to clear off.. cannot really trust the honda reps here, they will try to bleed you off your bucks! otherwise would be a new left arm (>300 euros) and after that finding hasnt been corrected, 1 more part xxx euros, then one more xxx and so on, see....

behaviour of the car is always trying to go left, right turns are a little bit harder on the hand feeling and stability too, like in fact the right whell is up more front then the left one.. but again 0,05 degress.. christ...

sorry no pics here... post them tomorrow. could u post the second photo again please.? thats was not a parts photo lolol

btw.. great ride u got! here in portugal still not allowed to have dark tainted screen film, unfort.

thks again.. i wonder if ever happened this to anyone (steer left by himself due to a 0,05 degree undercast on left)

greets