Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

grinding noise on front left wheel

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 11:59 AM
HCF Member
Default grinding noise on front left wheel

this is not on my car but on my friends car. he's telling me when he brakes he hears grinding noise on the front left wheel. i told him that most likely its the brake pads that are worn. so i want to ask you guys, if the noise on the front left wheel when he brakes, can anything else be wrong, or is the worn brake pads the only thing wrong. I don't want to tell him the wrong info and when he gets the pads fixed that is not the problem

Old 12-17-2009, 07:20 PM
HCF Member

bump, anyone?

Old 12-17-2009, 08:33 PM
HCF Member

If it is grinding when he is braking more than likely it is the brake pads worn out. And if it is grinding he might need to get rotors at the same time. If pads are just worn they wont grind. If the pads are gone it will grind metal to metal and cause bad groves in the rotors. If u just put new pads on it will prob palseate cause the rotors are worped. There are 2 screw that hold the rotor to the hub. If they are still on there from the factory u will have to remove them to get the rotor off. So dont try to bang on the rotor with a hammer or you could damage the hub. The screws are kind of a pain in the *** to get out unless you have a impack screw driver. They arent cheep to buy. Well mine werent. All my tools are from Mac tools or Snap-On.

Old 12-17-2009, 10:11 PM
HCF Member

haven't thought about the rotors, i guess i'll tell him to get the rotors checked out for grooves