Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

what do i need to make my brakes more smooth

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 09:05 AM
HCF Member
Default what do i need to make my brakes more smooth

ive driven many of my friends cars and when i push the breaks they go down like im stepping on a pillow

on my brakes it feels like im stepping down on the brake weight weights attached that makes it harder

plus if i push them all the way down if im going fast i still might not be able to stop

my dad went to fix my oil leak today which was caused by the pan not being tightened by the last mech. He also got me new brake pads, will this fix the problem? i didnt want him to waste money until i found out -_- it was 170 or something

Old 01-12-2008, 11:46 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: what do i need to make my brakes more smooth

so you're saying that your brake pedal has a firmer feel but your car doesn't want to stop? sounds like you actually have some braking issues, the pedal is supposed to feel firm really. mine is pretty firm, i drove my mom's camry the other week and i didn't feel any pressure at all and i didn't like it one bit[&:]

Old 01-12-2008, 01:13 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ditto every car has a different pedal feel.... main thing that matters is how it stops!

general rule is if they are not grinding when stoping and you can lock the brakes up and slide tires then they are in good working order! go about 10-20mph and on a empty road slam on the brakes hard, if they slide they are stoping good.
i personaly like slow 10mph tests in gravel cause you can see which wheels are actualy locking up and which are not. and could be a problem...

cheapest thing is bleed the brakes with NEW brake fluid and inspect all the pads as well as the rotors and drums metal to feel if they are grinded up, ridged, or warped feeling... when replacing pads its always best to have the rotors/drums turned smooth. that way their is proper brake pad seating so theirs a even contact between pads and metal...

Old 01-12-2008, 08:16 PM
HCF Member

pretty much when i push the pedal down i feel resistance. In other cars it feels like im stepping on a cloud

i have no noises or grindy feeling but its so stiff i just wish it was more smooth. My new pads are definately more sensitive but the stiffness remains. I guess its ok but if there is a way to adjust it im down

Old 01-12-2008, 08:25 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Does your dad similarly feel that excessive pushing on the brake pedal is required to stop the car? If so, perhaps your brake booster isn't functioning properly. The brake booster uses the force of vacuum generated by the engine to reduce the amount of effort you need to apply to the brake pedal to stop the car. You could either perform the brake booster tests described in the 01 Civic service manual (available free on the internet) or have the brake booster tested by a mechanic.

Old 01-13-2008, 01:36 AM
Recognized HCF Member

sounds to me like its not realy a problem.... it just feels different to ya. and thats just you....
every vehicles has thier own pedal feels, weither it be the brake pedal or even the gas pedal. as well as clutch pedal as well... some are soft, some stiff and some are JUST RIGHT

Old 01-13-2008, 09:47 AM
HCF Member

ahh i see. I assumed something was up because my friends 99 civic ex drives smooth as a babies but

im startin to care less. thanks guys