Inside and Out Talk about your interior and exterior mods here.

what should i use to smooth valve cover?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 09:18 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default what should i use to smooth valve cover?

well FINALY i got my used valve cover......

and well its got quite a few marks all over it!!!!! even some factory molded flaws...

ive already cleaned the crap outta it soaking it in diesel fluid and engine cleaner for the realy hard stuff! got it all clean now... and painted it with some black high temp paint. and even tho it does look preaty good just painted... its got all kinds of scratches on it ontop. in the aluminum i guess

but do you think i should just some standard sand paper or like a little dremel and sometime of tool to sand it smooth?
also what grit should i use?

right now i just have it painted with the high temp stuff BUT before i bolt it on my motor i want to paint it with matching exterior paint..... i think it should hold up fine seeing how ive seen people paint big V8 blocks with car paint for a realy nice show look!

Old 07-07-2006, 09:28 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: what should i use to smooth valve cover?

pictures are huge i know... just kept em that way to show the imperfections beter!

this is what she looks like now

Name:  civicvalvecover003.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  47.4 KB

Old 07-07-2006, 09:30 PM

i used a wire brush on a air drill for the hard stuff then fine grit sand paper...then if i was u i would prime it sand that then paint it...that would give a very smooth surface...use low gloss and then clear coat it, also take some sandpaper and rub the black off the HONDA before u clear coat

Old 07-07-2006, 11:31 PM
Recognized HCF Member

i would get some somewhat aggressive sandpaper and sand it then repaint it and then wetsand it with some fine grit paper and then paint it one last time and you should be good to go with it being all smooth

Old 07-08-2006, 10:32 PM
HCF Member

i like it black..looks good

Old 07-09-2006, 08:37 AM
Recognized HCF Member

ya i like it black as well
and i want the actual stock black color also..

i was gonna paint my air intake black as well BUT the seller is REALY COOL and he is giving me two free air intakes, one for my 99civic and one for my friends 95 civic if i do a write up for him. and if i do good i think he will POSIBLY either give me or REALY cheap one of this headers to me for another write up

so for my civic i got to put it back stock for a minute and throw on the new intake tube.LMFAO
mine i sprayed some engine cleaner on it NOT KNOWING IT WOULD CLOUD LIKE A **** ALMOST INSTANTLY!
ill definatly put that in the write up for him.LOL

and i guess ill keep my air tube and paint it black with my valve cover and any other little extra parts i get and want to paint.

and if i ever pull the whole motor tranny i definatly want to paint it up black as well.
i just love a black car since i got this thing!
used to love green like my truck BUT NOW since ive had a black car..... i definatly want to stick with a black car! looks sick with some tint!

Old 07-09-2006, 11:21 AM
HCF Member

Get some flapper sanding wheels and use those to knock down the high spots. Then make sure and use some good primer to fill in the low spots and add a couple of coats of paint... it should all be mostly gone or hidden then.

Old 07-10-2006, 05:19 PM
HCF Member

Just use a rotary grinder with a semi-fine grid wheel and be careful, you could really mess up the aluminum.
Don't do it too much on the pitted place. And by the way, I used the same semi gloss, and you don't need to clear coat it (even
if you polish the honda) or it will look a little wierd. I did mine this way. Just look at my profile, that's what it should look like when complete.