Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

What's my problem??!! Please help

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 09:23 AM
Default What's my problem??!! Please help

Hello all. First post. I know some stuff and I'm sure I don't know a lot more. My issue is with a left rear toe that is maxed out at negative 0.26 on a 95 dx civic. The maximum negative recommended setting is 0.16. I thought it was because my car was dropped so I returned it to stock height. This of course improved the harshness on my ***, but didn't fix the toe issue at all. The only after market things on my car now are LCAs on the rear by SPC AND, funny enough, rear toe adjusters by Wicked Tuning. These toe adjusters are rated to go from -2 to +5 so I thought for sure they would fix the problem. I installed them myself and shortened them to their max and then placed he stock adjuster all the way IN towards the middle of the car. I don't have any clue now as to why my left rear tire is still pointing outwards and continuing to chew out my tires. The toe BEFORE i installed the toe adjusters was worse and both sides were affected; -0.5 on the right and -1.0 on the left, but again the rated specs on these adjusters should have taken care of everything. The only thing I can think of now is to go back to stock LCA on the rear and hope that it's longer length helps out with toe. ANY help is much appreciated. Thanks in advance
Regards,
Steve

Old 02-08-2008, 09:37 AM
Default RE: What's my problem??!! Please help

have u had an alignment done at all? are those specs after the alignment was done? has the car ever been in a reck involving the rear suspension?

Old 02-08-2008, 09:54 AM

Yes the car has had many alignments, after I have changed the smallest thing to going back to stock height, to putting in the toe adjusters. I actually just came back this morning from NTB with those alignment results. I asked the guy if anything looked bent or off to explain the problem, but he said "not that I can see". I don't know if there are machines or tools to measure the straightness of the car or portions to see if there is something bent. Secondly, I don't know if it was in a wreck. I'm the second owner and if I recall, I did a VIN search and found no problems whatsoever. That doesn't exclude an under the table fix after a wreck without documentation, but that's the best I can answer I guess. Thanks for the quick reply.
Steve

Old 02-08-2008, 09:58 AM

thats pretty weird. only things i could think of causing it would be some sort or bent part or possibly some bad bushings.

Old 02-08-2008, 10:02 AM

Trailing arm bushings? I forgot to mention that I replaced those as well, cuz the old ones cracked after a year and started squeaking like crazy. I put the energy suspension bushings in that aren't "fixed" but rather rotate freely and go in and out freely along the stock metal pin that bolts to the underside. Could that be a problem? I just replaced that like under 6 months ago. Should I have gone with the mugen bushings that look like and behave like stock? Is there a way to see if anything is bent? Thanks again.
Steve

Old 02-08-2008, 10:16 AM

i doubt the ES trailing arm bushings affected anything if installed correctly. the Mugen bushings are actually better than oem and ES so it wouldnt behave like oem, maybe fit better than the ES tho since they retain the oem design. still, i doubt the bushings are to blame. as for figuring out if anythings bent, i cant say what to do. my best guess would be to eye ball the parts but that would be very difficult to find a small misshaped part.

Old 02-08-2008, 10:24 AM

Thanks a lot man. Those were mighty quick replies. I guess I will be trading the car in for a new one in a few years, so I'll just put up with toe problem. The negative 0.5 and 1 degree were chewing up tires within a few months, so hopefully being 0.1 degree of spec won't be too big of a deal. I just put a month of hard labor into the car installing a lot of sound deadening and a sound system. The former can't be removed, but I will remove the latter. Oh well.
Regards,
Steve

Old 06-29-2008, 07:05 PM

OK so I am revisiting my rear toe problem and am wondering if anyone out there has a proper working setup on their 92-95 civic with SPC rear LCAs? If so could you do me a HUGE favor and tell me what the measurement is from the middle of the bolt that attaches the LCA to the car and to the middle of the bolt that attaches the LCA to the trailing arm? I am thinking that the company that went out of business may have put the wrong LCA on my car and it's too short which would explain a non adjustable toe problem that is stuck in permanent toe out... I have e-mailed SPC but haven't heard back from them yet. Any help would be awesome. Thanks in advance.
Regards,
Steve