Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

wierd squeaking sound

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 06:59 PM
Default wierd squeaking sound

allright i bet you guys are sick of these same old questions. but i have done a little bit of research. when i am turning left my front left wheel squeeks. i allready checked the CV boot and it is all fine. maybe brakes? i replaced the rotors a while ago but didnt replace the pads. any other ideas? thanks ahead of time for the help.

Old 01-08-2008, 07:02 PM
Default RE: wierd squeaking sound

does the noise only happen when turning? even when the brakes are not applied? visually the CV boots may be fine, but the joints could be damaged.

and thanks for the hella annoying sig[:-]

Old 01-08-2008, 07:20 PM

lol are you talking about my little sound clip thing? cause i was bored one day and thought i would make it hahah. i am gonna check my cv joint tomorrow so what do i need to look for?

Old 01-08-2008, 07:49 PM

whoops, i ment avatar, not sig[sm=smiley29.gif]

SYMPTOMS OF CV JOINT FAILURE
Bad boots are not the only thing you need to look for. You also need to listen for noise or complaints that might indicate a CV joint problem. These include:

[ul][*]Popping or clicking noises when turning. This almost always indicates a worn or damaged outer CV joint. To verify this condition, place the vehicle in reverse, crank the steering wheel to one side and drive the vehicle backwards in a circle (check the rearview mirror first!). If the noise gets louder, it confirms the diagnosis and the need for a new CV joint or replacement shaft assembly.[*]A "clunk" when accelerating, decelerating or when putting the transaxle into drive. The noise comes from excessive play in the inner joint on FWD applications, either inner or outer joints in a RWD independent suspension, or from the driveshaft CV joints or U-joint in a RWD or AWD powertrain. The same kind of noise can also be produced by excessive backlash in differential gears. To verify the condition, back the vehicle up, alternately accelerating and decelerating while in reverse. If the clunk or shudder is more pronounced, it confirms a bad inner joint.[*]A humming or growling noise. Sometimes due to inadequate lubrication in either the inner or outer CV joint, this symptom is more often due to worn or damaged wheel bearings, a bad intermediate shaft bearing on equal length halfshaft transaxles, or due to worn shaft bearings within the transaxle.[*]A shudder or vibration when accelerating. May be caused by play in the inboard or outboard joints, but the most likely cause is a worn inboard plunge joint. Similar vibrations can also be caused by a bad intermediate shaft bearing on transaxles with equal length halfshafts, or by bad motor mounts on FWD vehicles with transverse-mounted engines.[*]A vibration that increases with speed. This symptom is rarely caused by a failing CV joint. An out-of-balance tire or wheel, an out-of-round tire or wheel, or a bent rim are the more likely causes.
[/ul]
as far as internally what to look for, i cant say what. either way, if u've ruled out all other possibilties such as brakes, then chances are high its the cv joint. may be cheaper and i know it's easier to just replace the axle.

Old 01-09-2008, 08:41 AM

maybe the axle is ****ed?

Old 01-09-2008, 09:08 AM
HCF Member

I've been getting popping noises when I'm at a stop and start accelerating and sometimes turning. This just started a few days ago. So I'm guessing it's the cv joint. I was going to put up a post but this thread helps a lotThanks