Transmission & Differential All trans and diff topics can be found within.

1990 Honda Civic DX Transmission Issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 09:59 AM
Exclamation 1990 Honda Civic DX Transmission Issue

I have a 1990 Honda Civic DX (2 door hatchback) that is having some transmission/clutch issues. The car has approx 188,000 miles on it and I do not know if the clutch has ever been replaced. The car burns oil, but other than this new issue, it runs and drives great...and still cant beat the gas mileage!

The problem is that when I shift from 1st to 2nd gear, it does not act like the clutch is fully engaged...I still am moving, but the engine revs as if I am in neutral, but if I let up on the gas and then re-accelerate, it seems to then work fine... All other gears 1, 3, 4, 5, dont seem to have this issue. The issue aslo seems more apparent when going up a hill if that makes any difference.

I have looked into getting the clutch replaced but its not too cheap. I would do it myself but it seems one has to little take the whole engine apart to do... I have also read that it might not be the clutch as its only doing it in one gear...

Any suggestions / advice? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Old 08-17-2011, 04:51 PM
HCF Member

doing a clutch isn't bad in these cars. the worst part is supporting the engine while separating the transmission from the block, and the actual separation of the block is quite bothersome as well.

i think you essentially described a clutch slip. You MIGHT be able to inspect it by taking off your starter, but it might not be too helpful.

As far as a replacement... Greddy OEM-type replacement is perfect. Long life.