Transmission & Differential All trans and diff topics can be found within.

2000 civic lx, 1.6 automatic, over revving

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2014, 07:41 AM
Default 2000 civic lx, 1.6 automatic, over revving

my son left buffalo this morning to come home for the holiday, after about 2hours of driving he noticed that his tach was reading very high for the speed he was driving, he was doing around 70 on the nys thruway and said it appeared his rpm was around 6000, way too high. he limped into the nearest service area, called and over the phone I described a few things to check. first was the fluid level, which was fine. also did not appear to be burnt. at idle it was a rpm around 900 which is normal. finding nothing evevident we decided for him to drive another 15 miles to the next exit, where we have a family friend. this was after letting the car set for around half and hour. surprisingly upon returning to the highway, the problem was now none existant. he still left his car there and borrowed his friends spare car to travel the remaining 2 hours home. I plan on traveling with him back and was planning on checking for codes, with my scan gauge and droping the trans pan and changing the filter and replacing the fluid. any ideas as to what might be going on? any hints as to things we might check. my first impression was that the trans was slipping, any help would be a life saver

Old 11-27-2014, 11:17 AM

an update to my sons trans problem, after arriving home and being able to discuss the entire issue with him, it would appear to me that it was a upshifting problem, not going to be able to get to the vehicle until Saturday after the two hour ride, I am wondering if anyone can direct me to any links,or info as to any thing I might want to know about this tranny before I check it out, I really have not found anything in fqa nor going thru the links, any help appriciated