Transmission & Differential All trans and diff topics can be found within.

2003 Hybrid CVT Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 09:29 AM
Default 2003 Hybrid CVT Problem?

Hello. I have a 2003 Honda Civic Hybrid. It has a CVT transmission and I am having some problems that make me think I have some major transmission issues going on.

First, about a year ago when driving through parking lots or anywhere at very low speed, the car would sort of jump or lurch forward. I have an Audi A4 with a CVT transmission as well that had to be replaced, and this feeling felt almost identical to when the CVT transmission in the Audi was slipping. It wasn't getting worse, so I wrote it off as a design problem rather than a failing part. Perhaps I shouldn't have.

Last week, I was driving home and out of nowhere the car started violently shaking when I was under 30MPH. The shaking felt as if the transmission was slipping. I made it home, and parked in the driveway. I started investigating what the issue could be. The transmission fluid level was normal and everything seemed in working order. The problem definitely wasn't an engine problem, but a drive train issue.

When I got back in the car to pull forward into the garage, I put the car in drive and accelerated as you would normally to go forward on almost flat ground. When I did that, it was like the car was in neutral. Hitting the accelerator only revved the engine, but when releasing the brake the car only rolled backwards down the driveway. We finally had to push my car into the garage.

A few comments:

1) The check engine light is now on. I don't have an ODB-II scanner for the Honda, only Audi-specific software. I'm going to try to pull the codes to see what that is about.

2) The service guidelines have been followed. We changed the transmission fluid last summer and used fluid from the dealership for this specific car and transmission type.

3) The car has about 115,000 miles.

I've searched the forums and haven't found much about this specific issue. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Very bizarre...

-Chris

Old 01-24-2009, 09:37 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Rent, borrow, or purchase an OBDII scan tool so that you can pull the CEL code(s). Some transmission malfunctions throw a CEL. Hopefully, the code will reveal a problem with an easily replaceable transmission solenoid.

Old 01-28-2009, 10:26 PM
HCF Member

yeah them CVT trans are garbage i have a buddy who owns a trans shop, and a Mini cooper S came in and it was really bad, lol IT LOOK LIKE SPAGETTIE in the oil pan and long shreads of metal pieces of what looked like chain i dunno but it was horrible everyone i know has problems with CVT trans

Old 01-29-2009, 01:58 PM

I was going to post my own thread, but this is too similar. I have a 2003 Civic Hybrid with a MANUAL trans, not CVT, also with 115,000 miles, and my trans is stuck in second great. I can not shift to any other gear or into neutral. I have searched the internet forums for tips on this, but I haven't seen any other occurrences of this problem. Finally I took it into the dealer today and they are saying there are major problems with the gears and sleeves. Estimate is $2980. I spent a bunch this summer on new transmission bearings and a clutch. The clutch had been fine, but they suggested doing it while they were in there because the trans bearings were $200 but it was $1300 in labor, so might as well do the clutch while I was in there.

Any ideas on this? I'm wondering if the repair work this summer was faulty and could have caused this problem.