Transmission & Differential All trans and diff topics can be found within.

Another 1st gear trouble post

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 06:08 AM
Default Another 1st gear trouble post

So I know the this seems like a problem that been addressed on multiple threads as well as the FAQ, but I can’t seem to find a situation here or anywhere else on the internet that matches my situation enough. So I am going to be very explicit.

I just bought a 2008 civic LX (manual transmission). It has about 3500 miles on it right now. This is my first standard car; I wasn’t elegant before I got it but I could get from A to B.

Sometimes I can’t get my car into first gear, even from a dead stop. The gear selector just goes in half way. I either have to release the clutch and try again or put it into 2nd first then put it into first, or just skip first altogether. I have noticed that before this happens the gear selector just becomes “notchy” going into the gears, no matter what the gear.

I brought it to the dealer twice since I have a warranty and they said nothing was wrong. The first time they said they couldn’t reproduce it, so they basically just “tightened some screws”. The second time I actually showed a mechanic the problem on the road. They got back to me by saying that the mechanic drove a stock car and it drives the same way, so its just a characteristic.

Ive talked to some of my friends who drive standard and they say that this happens, but they describe it as happening “once in a blue moon”. Mine almost always happens in stop and go traffic. I realize that I’m not driving a BMW here, but if it’s a problem I want to get it fixed before the warranty expires.

After looking on the internet I have narrowed the problem down to 3 possibilities: a bent selector fork, faulty synchros, or I just need to put in better transmission fluid.

Bent selector fork: I don’t think that this is the case because the issue only happens sometimes and its usually preceded by a notchy shift into any gear. Also, the track into first gear feels equivalent to the track into second (I can’t feel anything bent).

Bad synchros: On a few occasions that this problem happened, I was able to turn the car off and the gear selector stopped at the same point. So it seems to me that this probably the case.

Needs better transmission fluid: I think this is the most logical reason so far, but you would think that Honda would put decent fluid into their new cars.

Any thoughts on any of this would be appreciated. Sorry for the long post.

Old 03-13-2008, 12:20 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Another 1st gear trouble post

It's just the way civics are.
I believe even that someone with a 08 already asked about this
and we all told him, it's completely normal.
For once, the dealer wasn't lying to you.

Old 10-05-2009, 05:40 PM
Wink Trouble getting into 1st and Reverse Gear, 08 honda civic

I have trouble too getting into both first all the time it seems as well as reverse. Also, I can't get the gear into reverse unless I'm at a complete stop. I don't mind the notchyness as long as it never becomes a safety hazard which some times it seems to by. Driving in San Fran can be pretty dangerous if you can't get get it into first even from a stand still; those hills are CRAAAAZYYYY!

Old 10-05-2009, 06:44 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by antwonwest
. Also, I can't get the gear into reverse unless I'm at a complete stop.
seriously?

you shouldnt be going into reverse unless youre completely stopped